Recent b12/folate deficiency. I'm a little confused

Posted , 3 users are following.

A recent blood test showed that my vitamin b12 and folate levels are abnormal, I have an appointment in a week but it's kind of driving me crazy. I just wanted to know if its normal for my heart to race, I also seem to be having a lot of nervousness or feelings of anxiety especially after I eat and I feel a tension in my body that feels like extreme stress.At first, I thought I had a thyroid issue or issues with my blood sugar, So I hope hearing from others will give me a little reassurance.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hiya, sorry to hear you have been feeling unwell. I'm the same, not been diagnosed yet but waiting to be referred as blood results showed there a high level of antibodies. GP seems to think it's thyroid. I suffered Graves' disease after the birth of my daughter. 19 years ago. Only needed to take carbinmazole for a year and then levels corrected themselves, not needed to take medication for thyroid since. All your above symptoms is how I felt. Ive been anaemic for years and in this past year have been feeling weird again. I personally don't think it's my thyroid, I've been looking up symptoms and believe it to be B12 deficiency. Im thinking of going private as I can't stand all this waiting about, I just want the correct diagnosis and to be put on the right medication. I also felt as if my blood sugar was low, I get shaking inside, cold feet and twitching all over my body (no one else can see). It's driving me crazy. Sorry I can't be much help to you but wanted u to know I understand how yr feeling. Good luck take care.

• Posted

Who’s at greatest risk for B12 Deficiency?

Anyone at any age, can become B12 deficient. However, certain people are at an elevated risk. They include the following:

"Vegetarians, vegans and people eating macrobiotic diets.

People aged sixty and over

People who’ve undergone any gastric and/or intestinal surgery, including bariatric surgery for weight loss purposes (Gastric bypass).

People who regularly use proton-pump- inhibitors. H2 blockers, antacids, Metformin, and related diabetes drugs, or other medications that can interfere with B12 absorption.

People who undergo surgeries or dental procedures involving nitrous oxide, or who use the drug recreationally.

People with a history of eating disorders (anorexia or bulimia).

People with a history of alcoholism.

People with a family history of pernicious anaemia.

People diagnosed with anaemia (including iron deficiency anaemia, sickle cell anaemia and thalassaemia).

People with Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gluten enteropathy (celiac disease), or any other disease that cause malabsorption of nutrients.

People with autoimmune disorders (especially thyroid disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Grave’s disease) Type 1 diabetes, vitiligo, lupus, Addison’s disease, ulcerative colitis, infertility, acquired agammaglobulinemia, or a family history of these disorders.

Women with a history of infertility or multiple miscarriages".

If you can "see" yourself in one or more of the above persons come back and we can move on from there.

I realise that it is worrying to be told that blood tests have come back "abnormal" and I'm guseeing that that means that your Vitamin B12 and and Vitamin B9 (Folate a.k.a folic acid) levels are below "Normal" range but in reality there is absolutely nothing to worry about as treatment of both are simple and efffective.

Top of the above list of people are vegetarians and vegans as B12 and Folate are obtained naturally from our daily diet so it may just be that you are not eating enough red meats, fish, seafoods, eggs, poultry and dairy produce for B12 and green vegetables, sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, basil, beans etc for Folate.

When are you due to see your GP?

?I am not a medically trained person but have "lived" with Pernicious Anaemia (a form of B12 deficiency) for 45 years and I'm still "clivealive" at 75

• Posted

Hi Clive. Not been on here for some months, work. But still having pins and needles stiffening in my hands. Burning pain in my left shin and foot. Been to the Hospital had all the tests for nothing. Thought this was down to my B12 as I have Pernicious Anaemis for over 15years. But I have also got a Slipped Disc. Old Injury I did when I was 15. Now 53. Been in pain on and off since then with back pain. Was given Ibruphen 600 mill 3 times a day to take when pain is bad. Had an MRI to conferm. Only to discover I should not have been taking it has I also have High blood pressure. Next plan not sure. Poss Ciropract. Hope your keep well. Angel2013
    • Posted

Hiya Clivealive, thank you for the above info. The thing is my gp has sent me away to make hospital appointment for thyroid clinic. Attached was a sealed envelope that she told me to give to the hospital once I get the appointment. Curiosity killed the cat, and I opened it 😬 Inside was reports of my last 4 blood tests I've had done. Nov 2015 (norm s/b 0-61) mine read 143, she didn't call me in, receptionist told me all fine, Jan 2017 reads 207! Am fuming this was not picked up earlier. The worrying thing for me is that my mind does seem foggy, at times I've wondered whether I was getting dementia, I'm only 44 by the way too. I have a telephone consultation with dr tomorrow, and basically I'm going to tell her what I think is the problem. At my wits end just want to be treated. I've had two minor car accidents (both my fault) in the space of one month. So I really feel desperate at the minute to get to the bottom of this. Thanks so much for listening to my rants. I will be in touch what tomorrow brings. Take care

• Posted

Sadly not all neurological symptom are completely "cured" by the B12 as a lot depends on how long the damage was incurred before diagnosis and treatment.  

Do you think you need more frequent injections?  At worst if you have P.A. they should be every 8 weeks.

Are you supplementing with folic acid as this is essential to process the B12?

Sorry to read of your ongoing pain and I mwish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.