Recent blood work

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Folks 

Had some recent blood work done ,  I’ve RA the last two years .  46 year old male 

Have it in both knees quite badly  , pretty sure the sternum cartilage and left shoulder is affected too .

Was Ill last week for a day , temperature exhaustion and malaise. Pretty sure that it’s a flare up and the recent blood results have gone up the doctor told me . Rheumatoid doc is away so I won’t see him for a couple of weeks 

What do these mean and would this be considered  good  or bad case patient in terms of how bad I have it 

RA factor 29

CCP Elisa 42

Ctd Screen Negative 

C reactive Protein 28.9 

Can someone explain the above results 

Many thanks ! 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sounds as though you are in a flare, with CRP of 28.9, my Dr also measures my ESR ethrocite sedimentation rate, have learnt that if my ESR and CRP are high I am in trouble.

Has you rheumotogist or regular Dr told you to try 6000mg of odourless fish oil, not krill oil, although for some it does help, but I would start with fish oil, 1000mg capsules 2 for breakfast, 2 for lunch and 2 for dinner, with food is the only way I can manage them as they cause me some reflux but a taste of fish in the back of your throat is something not tooo nasty, just like you have when you have eaten a tuna sandwich, and yes they do help me when I remember to take them.

Something that does help me is cutting out all bread and wheat products, only took me 15 years to figure out, what I wonder will happen if I try this idea for a couple of days, it worked so well those couple of days have become a couple of months now, not easy as I love a slice of toast for breakfast, but I do notice the more wheat I eat the more pain I am in, and rheumo approves because my ESR & CRP are as low as they have ever been.

Does your regular Dr have you on any meds that might help in the meantime.

• Posted

Sorry forgot esr is 8 only 

Thanks for tip on diet and fish oils 

A few weeks ago my right knee got tight and a lot of clicking , soreness etc . I’m having issues with that knee and have had an mri done . Possible meniscus tear 

I’m awaiting to see a knee guy . Again on holidays! 

I’ve  some steroid pill so here which I’ve taken a few off . They help . 

I was Iinitially miss diagnosed when I first got this 2 years ago and lost over 3 months of treatment 

• Posted

It seems to be something the Dr's think its the last thing you could have when something simple as a blood test would tell them the real story.

I too was told for months and months I was post viral, I would get over it, instead I only got worse.

As I also have osteo arthritis, picked the wrong parents I'm afraid, so I had that and Dr's just telling me to take over the counter pain killers which were not doing anything for me.

Then I had a fall getting out of bed, and could not get myself up off the floor, a nightmare until family found me and took me to the hospital, junior Dr looked at me, and said whats been going on here, and tested me with ESR and CRP which he was not authorized to do, that is the GP's area, and of course my results came back disaster area, saw the rheumo a matter of 6 weeks later, on urgent referral from casualty, and have been with her ever since.

First thing she said to me, showed me the big bottle of fish oil, and said go to chemist and start today, 6 a day.

Then we also started on the really heavy meds, many which dis-agree with me, my system does not like anything sulfur based apparently, but took a while to even figure that out.  Some meds work for me, and others I just cannot take, extremely high blood pressure on Arava or leflunomide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.