Recent Car Accident: Tips for compression fracture?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I'm 26 and just had my first car accident. I'm very fortunate to only have suffered an L5 (I think) fractured vertebrae in my back. I was slowing down for traffic ahead and was rear-ended by a speeding and distracted driver. I have no memory of the accident (being hit, hitting other vehicles, etc.) since I black out probably on the initial impact.. Witnesses said I was rear ended and then hit the car ahead of me. After that, I was pushed into oncoming traffic and took out a truck's axle and smashed the side of his 5th wheel trailer he was pulling. I become conscious again when it ended, I had to catch my breath and I felt sudden back pain.

After it was over, I was surprisingly very alert and wasn't shaky. It happened so quickly. I collected my wallet, phone, etc. and carefully got out of my car and sat on the guard rail. (RIP my 2017 Nissan Sentra)

I eventually went in the ambulance to the local ER, which has a dedicated Trauma Center. I was admitted and after numerous X-rays and a CT Scan, they identified a fracture L5 vertebrae. (I have limited knowledge of medical terminology, but i'm pretty sure it was a "stable" fracture. They checked me thoroughly, no other injuries or issues were found. The doctor did say my "ketone" level was at a 5, which shows some impaired liver function i'm told.

With this injury, I was given a back brace and am taking Tylenol for the pain. I have a follow-up appointment in 3 weeks (accident happened Sept. 22nd). I went to Washington DC this weekend and think I may have overdid it. We did a lot of walking (no running) and I took quite a few breaks. The pain level is not overwhelming, but definitely seems to have increased. Since then, i've been very careful to limit my activity.

Questions:

1. Generally, what is the prognosis for this type of injury? (i'm a healthy, 26 year-old male, very active. The doctor said six weeks minimum, the pain feels worse now than it did before)
  2. Could being overly-active make this this injury worse?

I appreciate any help, thanks!

-Alex

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alex,

Sorry to hear about the accident, that sounds terrible. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

I'm not a medical professional but it sounds to me like you will be fine. You have youth on your side and you got immediate medical attention.

In terms of pain, I think it's not uncommon for pain from a back injury to increase for a while during the healing process, so don't worry about that. If it suddenly becomes very severe you should seek immediate medical attention but as someone who has had many back flare-ups (and a couple of back surgeries), I can say from my experience that the pain is not always at its worst at the time of the initial injury - healing can be a painful time as well. Give it at least two months and you should be pain-free - and if you aren't, talk to your doctor about it.

As for how active you can be... The typical feedback I've always gotten from doctors is that you should stay pretty sedentary for a couple days after any initial back event but after that, they usually encourage you to be at least mildly active. Walking is certainly a good thing. I would certainly avoid any impact sports (no football!) and don't do any heavy lifting, but on the other hand don't stay confined to a bed or a sofa. Mild exercise is usually helpful during the recovery phase from any mild to moderate back injury.

Be on the lookout for any kind of numbness in your leg, from about the top of your butt all the way down to your toes. If you feel numbness there (or a deep ache), go talk to your doctor about it. This type of condition (called sciatica) could occur now while you are healing or it could occur many years from now - just be on the lookout and if it occurs, go see a doctor, tell him your symptoms and be sure to tell him you had a spinal fracture at one point.

Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine.

• Posted

Thanks for responding back, I appreciate your insight. It seems like you've had to deal with quite a few back issues!

Overall, I'm feeling pretty positive about my recovery. The doctor said six weeks with the brace and hopefully no surgery. I will keep an eye out for symptoms of sciatica, thanks for bringing that up. It seems like arthritis is pretty much guaranteed once I get "old" (whatever that means). I'm a pretty active person. While I don't do weight lifting or contact sports, I go to the gym a few times a week and use the elliptical. I've taken an easy over the past few weeks, I understand how important it is for my back to heal.

Overall, it's crazy how fast car accidents happen. I'm also really fortunate to not have been injured worse with all that went on. I've lost my enjoyment for driving, hopefully that doesn't last. Once i'm used to my new car and no longer have the back brace, I hope things will return to normal.

Thanks again!

-Alex

• Posted

Alex,

Glad to hear you are doing well - you've got a good attitude about it, which is an often-overlooked positive factor in recovery.

Of the two issues you mentioned in your follow-up, let me give you some "old-guy" 😃 advice about those two as well.

In terms of spinal arthritis, yes you will likely get that, maybe in your 50s or 60s. After my surgery in 2010 to relieve sciatica I had about 3-4 good years and then spinal arthritis set in, likely triggered by the spinal weakening from the surgery. Unlike sciatica and compression fractures, however, spinal arthritis can't be easily treated - you mostly have to take pain drugs to keep it at bay. You can ultimately have a spinal fusion surgery but those can be nasty and often not helpful. Two things I would recommend to you to keep those things at bay (since you are still a young man): first, do NOT get chubby - especially don't build up a pot belly. It is a horrible persistent drag on your back that brings on back problems (I wish I could go back in time and slap the donut right out of my dumb 26 year old self's hand). And second, make sure your exercise routine (once you are recovered) includes lots of core strengthening. Aerobic and impact exercises are one thing, but you keep back problems at bay primarily through a strong core.

Now the other issue you mentioned is the anxiety you now feel about driving. My 40 year old nephew was t-boned and flipped over in his car about 2 years ago. His anxiety about driving has advanced to the point where he can't drive on a freeway. I've known a lot of people who suffer various forms of anxiety like that (including myself) and one thing I've definitely noticed is - it never gets better with age. It gets worse. You become more and more incapacitated by your phobias as you age. What starts out as a quirk in your 20s becomes a serious limiting phobia in your 40s. The good news there, however, is that unlike spinal arthritis, you can definitely cure your early phobia. See a counselor of some type and just talk to him/her about this. They may recommend "behavioral cognitive therapy (BCT)" which can definitely help you get rid of these anxieties, especially if dealt with early on. BCT is just talking, no drugs, and you can often resolve your issues in just a couple months, maybe less.

Good luck, and take care!

• Posted

Hi Seafarer,

I'm fortunate to have a good support network around me. I've also been through quite a bit in my 26 years, so I won't allow this injury to ruin the weeks and months ahead.

Thanks for sharing about the spinal arthritis and sciatica. I'm hoping to avoid surgery, which seems reasonable in my case. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that, I can't imagine dealing with so many back issues.

I definitely believe that physical fitness should be a priority. I'm not obsessed with going to the gym, but i want to stay healthy and avoid other health issues in the future. A few months ago I began doing "crunches" and a few other things. (My cat watches me and I know she's judging me...but I don't care haha) When it comes to pain management, I actually haven't need to take a Tylenol for the past 2 days. I have very little pain and am still remaining active.

Thanks for sharing the story about your nephew. I'm very fortunate that I didn't see the whole accident happen. My last memory before the crash is just driving down the road like normal. Next, the accident just ended with my windshield smashing and my car came to it's final resting place. I'm not opposed to talking with a counselor, but I don't think I need to at this point. I don't feel nervous or anxious when I drive, but the "joy of driving" is gone for now. I now have a 2019 Mazda 3, which is a very nice car. The safety features are also a great bonus.

Lastly, I was rear-ended and had no fault in the accident. However, the state trooper put me partially at fault. All the other insurance companies and the driver ahead of me said I wasn't at fault, but I've had to hire a lawyer to get all the traffic citations cleared. Once this is over, I think I may enjoy driving again.

• Posted

My daughter Kate had a compression fracture of L1 plus microfractures of her sacrum. Was squatting a heavy weight (she's a certified personal trainer) and she slipped...butt to the floor and the weight came down. On lots of pain pills for two years until she found the real cause of her pain: fractured tailbone (coccyx). After that operation she regained her strength very slowly. Today, 15 years later, she's pretty much normal and pain free...but never 100%.

This will take a while to heal but if you are not almost pain free in six months, the docs will have to locate the true source of your pain and fix it. During her major recovery, Kate was not able to take long walks, sit through a 2-hour movie, ride a bike and more. It all came back gradually. And yes, a neurosurgeon had to go in and remove all the fractured remnants of her tailbone...not easy.

Just know that recovery is gradual. You cannot do what you did before until you fully heal. Push it and you'll pay the price. Slow and gradual. Have patience!!!

• Posted

CHICO_MARX, thanks for your insight. I appreciate it. Your daughter's injury and the recovery sounds terrible. I'm glad to hear she is almost back to normal. It's truly a miracle that I wasn't injured worse with all the impacts of my accident. I definitely feel sympathy for those who've experience such a terrible injury.

After my accident happened I was (eventually) taken by ambulance to a large regional hospital, which has a dedicated trauma center. They did a few CT scans and about 15 x-rays, plus a lot of other things. I understand that doctors can sometimes miss things, but i'm confident they were able to pinpoint any damage. I will have further x-rays done during my follow-up appointment in a few weeks.

When it comes to pain levels, i'm very fortunate. I went two days without needing to take the high-strength Tylenol during the weekend. Some days I can feel the pain, but i'm trying to be very careful. As the doctor instructed, i'm avoiding twisting and bending my back at all. Patience is a virtue for sure.

I hope your daughters continues to heal, take care.

-Alex

• Posted

That kind of injury is not easy to recover from. Kate was released from care with continuing severe back pain. Tried tons of docs with no relief...until...

Saw a major doc at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC who ordered an MRI not of her lower back but BELOW that. No one had ever looked that far down before. That's when they discovered the completely shattered coccyx...no tailbone, just scattered fragments. Often misdiagnosed...very delicate surgery as it lays on the intestines.

Her recovery was intense and protracted but here we are, decades later, and she's fine with the fact that she's only 95% of what she was...a personal trainer certified by the American College of Sports Medicine. Actually continued working in the field for a few years after she got better. Nothing stops her. 5% body fat and kicks P90X's butt!!!

After having my grandson and surviving breast cancer 6 years ago, she is a master cake baker...makes very good money doing what she loves. Her recovery took time, work, determination and patience. There is no magic pill or magic operation. Body has to heal.

• Posted

Its encouraging to hear how well she is doing. I hope she continues to make great strides. Its especially impressive that she does P90X after what happened. My brother did that a few years ago, but it wasn't for me. I did a push up and was satisfied.

On a side note, I actually applied for another job back home in NY recently. The job posting officially closed on the day of my accident. The interview on Friday went very well and I explained why I had the brace. (I wonder if this helped my case at all with the sympathy? haha) Fortunately, I was also able to finish my first class towards my graduate degree. I think with a great support system and motivation you can still accomplish your goals.

Take care,

-Alex

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.