Recent change in benefits for me.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all thanks for taking the time to look at my thread. I've been claiming ESA for nearly 2 years now due to physical and mental health problems which has left me housebound. I recently had an assessment for pip of which I was successful. I was back dated the pip. My ESA was also bumped up due to the severe disability allowance category being added. My pip runs until Jan 2021. My ESA assessment again I expect will be in the next few months, but will having sda added and already having the assessment for pip come into consideration as another health assessment? Or will I still be expecting to do another ESA assessment? Thank you in advance.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yer I've just had another assessment for PIP. Now have to have one for ESA.

• Posted

Hi, am afraid you will need to do another ESA assessment as its different criteria to PIP, and the 2 departments dont speak to one another! I am in the same position as you, but you might not need to do a face to face assessment though if you have provided enough evidence of your illnesses/treatment etc., I have just filled in my ESA forms and sent in copy of medicine list, & hospital report etc., with it. So I am waiting on them getting back to me on whether I will need another assessment  sad will let you know,

• Posted

I had both my ESA and PIP reviews around the same time. The letters came almost together. I had to have another assessment for PIP. For ESA i had enough evidence to make a paper based decision so no assessment was needed. I was kept in the Support Group. Hopefully you won't need another assessment either. Good luck.

• Posted

I already have appointmentsupported for next week. But hopefully everything will be ok. I have evidence I can take with me, so might help.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the reply. My 2 year ESA period hit beginning of this month and I've not heard anything about needing another assessment? Maybe it's 3 years?? I only claimed pip for the first time this month. Hopefully when I do get re assessment it can be done by paper. The uncertainty just keeps me worrying daily.

• Posted

It may well be 2 years and they just haven't got round to sending you another ESA50 form. I know that max amount is 3 years at any one time. Not everyone gets this though. I would just try to relax in the meantime as there's nothing you can do. They'll send you another form when the time comes. You could gather some evidence in the meantime to save time when it does arrive. The more you have the better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.