Recent Colon removal and fistula - warning: graphic

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had part of my colon removed and a fistula removed on 10/28. Everything was done via laparoscopy. I was released this morning and I just wanted to give everyone my experience.

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis after a dye enema. I had always had painful digestion issues, but just thought it was normal. I'm severely lactose intolerant and kept a food diary, staying away from anything that kept me in pain for 2 or more days.

Intense pain started with my vaginal cuff. Every time my colon moved, it felt like it was ripping part of my vagina with it. I had a vaginal ultrasound where my doctor told me to get a colonoscopy right away.

The colonoscopy was a failure due to my rigid colon after 35cm. Thus the dye enema.

Checked in to Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston, TX near Memorial City. My general surgeon was Dr. Wheeler, and my gynecologist was Dr. Ronin. Both were present at my surgery due to a fistula from my colon to my vaginal cuff.

Part of my colon was removed that had severe damage from past flare ups. The fistula was over an inch long and was removed. My intestines were also sitting in a W position instead of a S. All intestines were put back in their correct position.

This may sound nuts, but the first thing that I thought when I woke up was that my stomach felt lower. I eat dinner at 6pm due to indigestion. I have felt that my stomach has been out of place since my hysterectomy. Dr. Wheeler said they barely touched my stomach, but I feel a difference.

I was transferred to my recovery room and felt that I was leaking from my anus. Two nurses stood me up and blood clots fell out of me when I stood. They filled my panties and leaked onto the floor. They ushered me to the toilet where additional blood clots came out. At this point I became very emotional and started crying. I honestly thought I was going to die from blood loss. Nurses cleaned me up, called my doctor, and he said all of that was completely normal. I was placed back in bed to rest. Pain was not as bad as I was expecting. I was sore for sure, and mostly above my belly button. I have three incisions, the one going through my belly button was the largest.

The next day I had two or three loose stools which contained blood clots but not nearly as much as the day before. All meals were clear liquids only. Passed gas on the second day, and was walking the halls quite a bit as well. The gas was horrible in my body. Pain under my right rib cage, right shoulder, lower right back. Walk, walk, walk. Burp yourself. Rub your back. It all helped.

Dr. Wheeler came in to talk to me. Said everything was very normal and I was healing well. He wanted to introduce solid food with no fibre. Day three had cream of wheat for lunch. Loose BM an hour after. Had Turkey, mac & cheese and a roll for dinner. Had a lot of gas and small loose BM. Slept, walked the halls, slept some more.

Day four I had eggs, sausage and coffee for breakfast. Gas, small loose BM, and the doctor released me from the hospital. That would be today. He told me not to introduce any fibre into my diet for 14 days. Eat small meals. No soda.

Went home and showered, which was heaven. And then I had a big BM. Still very soft, but this one made the stitches on my belly button burn a little. I was exhausted after. I had not take any pain meds since the morning I left the hospital. Took two extra strength tylenol after that BM and then took a nap.

Still walking and had a small sandwich with white bread and turkey and cheese with a glass of water. I am nervous to try anything else today.

Again- the pain is just from the incisions, not the actual BMs. Its more of a muscle sore than a stabby pain. I get twinges every once in a while, but nothing that takes me down. The pain from my hysterectomy was so much worse.

I will keep everyone posted as I progress. I am only 43 years old, so being diagnosed with diverticulitis after eating right, walking daily and practicing yoga was a bit of a shock. I don't drink and I quit smoking 9 years ago. My general surgeon and my GI doctor literally told me it was bad luck.

I am hoping for the best. Walk, sleep, walk, and rest the first few days. I am exhausted just typing this, but I feel it is important to share my experience with others who are also going through this.

Laura

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was told it was very bad luck too.I was healthy vegetarian always exercised. I have a massive abscess because I had a bad infection and the gastro doctor didn't pick up that my bowel had perforated. I had to have an ileostomy bag for 3 months as well. I was lucky enough to find a wonderful surgeon who has looked after me ever since. I had iron infusion after my reversal surgery because my ferritin was very low now it's very low again three years later and I have to have another colonoscopy endoscopy and an iron infusion this week. I've had a few complications and I'm just fed up because I don't want to have to go through all this again and the surgeon can't work out why my ferritin is low because the sigmoid doesn't have anything to do with the absorption of iron. . I'm assuming it's because I'm a vegetarian. .My vitamin D is very low to so I'm feeling very flat and fed up.

• Posted

I had 14 inches of my sigmoid and descending colon removed feb 12, 2020. The recovery isn't easy mate. I'm 10 months post op, and I have good days and bad days. I think I have adhesions and nerve damage. I hope you're doing well mate. its rough no doubt!

• Posted

Hope you are getting on alright pal, im waiting on the op at Coventry hospital, hopefully soon in the new year. Bit worried, but the surgeon is supposed to be great and does it robotically if possible.

im 46 and been suffering for 15 years. Bad luck i guess.

Finger's crossed you get yourself sorted and feel better!

• Posted

My surgeon is recommending laparoscopic surgery because I had a perforated colon with a 2 cm abscess what this is my first attack. What did you have to cause the surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.