Recent diagnosed with colitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Colitis, hospitalised for a week then had a colonoscopy to find out I have mild colitis. Since then stomach pains, NO diarrea just constipation. No blood and mild mucus. Not sure if I have ulcertive colitis or colitis or proctitis... I think I'm going to ask for another colonoscopy! Current started taking Ascol 2, 3 times a day. Don't seem to be having any effect.

I just want to know what I can do or why I don't have the normal symptoms.

I'm 21 male, non smoker,

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, a lot of people get constipation rather than diarrhea, this can also be a side effect of the medication ascol, you normally have to wait a while before you having another colonoscopy once you've had one, you medication definitely sounds like a mild flare up,

does you hospital offer a IBD helpline? they are very helpful and you call or email them, speak to the Doctor they should be able to advise you better

• Posted

Hi, I have been having constipation before i even started Ascol. I started Ascol 27/12/2013 so only 3 weeks ago. I dont see any affects, The pain has got a bit worse and the tablets are going straight through me.

No my hospital doesnt have a help line, the hospitals gastro department is AWFUL. so trying to get reffered to a different hospital. and therefor another colonscopy.

• Posted

Hey have you thought about taking acidphilus or some kind of probiotic. Don't take too much as it will just increase constipation but the asacol will give u constipation I was On it for a few months. I took it long enough to heal and then I stopped and am living off a probiotic. Inexpensive and healthy. What is your diet like? It is crucial in the beginning of healing ? Are you also drinking a lot of water? Do you take vitamins?
  • Posted

I only had my first doc appointment 27/12/13 so I'm

Pretty new to all of this. I've only been on Ascol Short while but don't seem to be doing anything, I've been goiing the gym a lot more and also started a healthy diet. Another point is I'm in a long term gay relationship and don't know if I can still carry on having sex? I don't know what type of colitis I have.

• Posted

It is going to take a while for the medicine to start healing you. The diet is important in the process so you don't aggrivates it and get more sick. Too much fiber will make you bloated and gassy. Try looking into a probiotic with the medicine and keep a journal of what u eat that u think bothers you. The sex discussion is something you should ask your doctor and at your appt they didn't tell you what type you had?
  • Posted

I will look at probiotic supplements, no they just said colitis but now I have googled it I have seen their are a few types of the condition. I'm just getting stressed and upset because this could potentially ruin my relationship with my boyfriend. I want to know what colitis I have, I just don't want to end up with a colostomy bag, I'm reading all these horror stories sad
  • Posted

I was the same way in the beginning it is scary. It's only making your stress higher and it's not good for your stomach. You will probably be able to be intimate again but not for some time it will take a few months to heal. I wasn't really given a specific type either don't read that stuff it will only scare you. Focus more on getting better, eating small portions with less fiber and staying away from greasy spicy foods you will regret it lol. Your health and you should come before your bf. he should support your situation and help you get better
  • Posted

I just need to stop thinking about the worse, because in reality most people on the internet only come on here to moan. The people getting in with life arnt stuck behind a computer. I will buy some probiotic supplements. And see how they go. How long did you take for the Ascol to kick in?

• Posted

The asacol is so expensive it's one of the best because of the ability to dissolve once it hits a certain acidity and from there the med goes where it needs to. Instead of attacking the liver or lining of the stomach it dissolves where it needs to so trust me it is working already. It's not like a cut that heals with a scab quickly. Be patient or try another medication if you truly think this one isn't helping you. That could be it too you never know. Everyone is different in when you start to feel better because not everyone is as inflamed as the next person. I was moderate to severe and in two months I felt better. Once I noticed what not to eat even if I wanted to eat it I got better. it really is all in what you eat at this time because your so sensitive. at four months I started the probiotic and haven't been on meds since.
  • Posted

If you have had a colonoscopy won't they also have taken biopsies? They have each time I've had one. If so, the biopsies will help diagnose what kind of colitis you have, although if you flare was mild it may not indicate ulcerative colitis, but that isn't to say that it is not that - my first biopsy didn't diagnose UC, but I developed it later.

I agree with the statements above, don't go reading all the various down sides of having colitis and needing surgery, it is scarey stuff, each of us are individuals and many never need surgery as it can be managed without needing an op'. I'm hoping your boyfriend does support you, talk to your Consultant regarding any concerns you have. When I'm feeling ill with my UC I just drink water and eat rice and eggs. Really bland but easy on the stomach and it works for me. Good luck, it is early days, try to be positive and I really hope you get sorted soon.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, I will speak to my consultant about my biopsy results. I remember her saying patchy colitis very minor. and nothing to worry about. but since starting the Ascol i have been getting lower back pain. Also when in remission what does that mean, how is remission defined? No constipation, normal Bm's? Can anyone explain this?

Thanks smile

• Posted

Generally speaking the kind of colitis you have is simply defined by the areas affected and the location, right left etc. remission is a time where you currently do not have any effects of uc. I also had low back pain with that medication and is one of the reasons I stopped taking it. This is a great website with a lot of information, hope it helps.

http://www.ccfa.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-ulcerative-colitis/

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.