Recent diagnosis.

Posted , 5 users are following.

So glad I found this forum. Had been suffering with itching for several months and just using vagisil.

Not really responding so had a look and saw white patches. Googled it and came up with LS which I had never heard of. Saw GP who said she was pretty sure it was but referred me to consultant who confirmed . I have been using Dermovate, twice a day for a month and now on once a day for another month. Also given Balneum lotion to use as shower cream and also to put it on 2 or 3 times per day.

I was uneasy using Dermovate when I read the instructions and at my follow up with the GP last week she thought I had not been using enough. I find it very difficult to know if I'm putting it in the right place! I have a little red area on the opening to my vagina which consultant said she wanted to get cleared up or she would need to have a look with a camera?? I think its less red but certainly not gone so I am worried about that. Also some fusion on one side of inner labia so I have to put Derm. there.

Also at the back near my back passage. I am so fed up and worried and just don't know how to manage this . I have also developed sore redness at the top of my thighs, like chapped skin. GP says its not LS and said use Sudocreme. I wondered if it could be the Balneum?? Anyway its not sore now but looks red and very dry. Wearing trousers seems to aggravate it.

Any advice please regarding the chapped area, has anyone else suffered this?

Thanks so much and I will read through other threads as I'm sure loads of information there.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jackie, sorry you had to join our club.

The problem we all face with LS is that the directions and information will differ from one doctor to another. Sometimes the doctors wont know and so its a trial and error scenario before you figure out what works for you.

It is good to read many of the other older threads on here as this is one condition that you can't just leave to the doctors to 'sort out' because they don't always know. From what you have said though it sounds like the advice to use the steroid twice a day for a month is a good plan. When you apply it use a hand mirror and you will want to apply it to the white plaques of skin, rubbing it well in and only using about the size of a pea. With regard to the Balneum lotion I'm not familiar with that, but I think I would consider not using that at the moment as it might be aggravating things and might account for the soreness on your thighs.

The little red area you describe just sounds like one of the many and numerous symptoms of LS that we all get, especially when flaring. I would not put the steroid cream there though as it is likely to make things redder and sore. The steroid cream is brilliant for getting rid of the white plaques of skin and for sorting out clitoral pain real quick but it doesn't help in some areas and I believe that is one of them, and so I don't know if you have been putting steroid cream on there or not.

The fusion you describe hardly dissipates with the steroid cream, however here is a thread called 'experiment with borax' which is worth looking at..some women have had good results with it and report back gradual unfusing. It can be overwhelming, so it is best to focus on getting out of this flare up and clearing up the white plaques of skin before trying anything else though. Areas that are sore near your butt are relieved with baby bottom creams like Desitin, as the steroid is too strong I believe for those areas.

In a few months time when you are on top of this you will feel much better.

• Posted

Thank you so much Guppy, you have given me hope and it's so good to have the support of fellow sufferers. I think the plaque areas are better and don't seem so obvious. A good sign. My doctor advised a " pea sized" amount, however I wasn't sure if that was for everything...and what sized pea! Trying to keep some humor !! I do think the red and sore thighs is as a result of either the Balneum or Dermovate migrating to that area.

Using the nappy cream seems to have helped although I have a red and very dry patch on each thigh still.

We don't have a bath at home so only showering.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Jackie, glad to hear that. You might want to buy a Spitz bath as they come in vey handy sometimes, you can get them online.

Maybe leave off putting anything on your thighs for a couple of days to see what happens, sometimes things clear up without creams or ointments.

• Posted

Hi Jackie,

LS is one of those mystery disorders doctors cannot tell you how you got it, but can give bandaids to handle the acute symptoms. In the functional medicine world, it is considered an autoimmune problem, so anything to calm down your stress and immune system will help. Also antifungals - herbs internally and creams on the white parts and the fused parts, supplements such as good methylated vit. B complex, curcumin, CoQ10, Mg, adaptogenic herbs, clearing sugar and white bread from your diet. The fusions I had took a long time to heal. I used an antifungal and steroid cream for a month, emu oil, and a type of DHEA cream on the area after that, but not every day. Emu and manuka oil as a combination works well topically, too. I also drink good concentrated cranberry juice for the itch if there is any. Hope you find what helps you! Don't give up! There is a light at the end of the tunnel. It just takes time.

• Posted

Thanks Vita,

I will look into all your suggestions. I go back to my GP in 3 weeks. Since using the steroid cream the itching has gone thankfully.

• Posted

Hi Jackie

So sorry you've joined us, but this is a great place to come for support and advice.

Many years ago my daughter was diagnosed with LS aged 4. I now believe it was the wrong diagnosis - now that I have it - oh the irony. At the time, the doctor said; 'If you put your hand out flat, and squeeze a worm of steroid from the tip of your index finger to the first joint, that would be enough for an area the size of your whole hand. Obviously the vulva is a lot smaller than that, so scale down accordingly.'

Pea size sound about right, that's what we've all been using on here, I believe.

Hope that helps

Bridge

• Posted

Thanks Bridge,

so much great advice on this site. I am using a small amount but my thoughts are that as this is a moist area it's impossible to make sure the ointment only stays were it's needed. A bit random I feel. I will keep soldiering on!

Jackie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.