Recent diagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was just diagnosed today with hypothyroidism. I have been extremely worried all day about the risks for infertility. Please if anyone knows anything about pregnancy with already diagnosed hypothyroid & already being on medication, please let me know.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kmass,

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, Hashimoto, and pcos! I got pregnant and welcomed my baby girl a year ago at the ripe age of 37! I had all odds against me. I was healthy and my baby was healthy. No pregnancy complications. I would suggest eat a

healthy diet and exercise. Your doctor will closely monitor you if you become pregnant.

• Posted

Hello Kmass:

My name is Shelly and I am a Nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

As long as you take your Thyroid medication and keep your levels in good shape you will be able to conceive.  Do take a multi-vitamin with iron as Ferritin is a component of Iron and is needed to make the thyroid medication work.

Always take your Thyroid med on an empty stomach and do not eat for 1 hour.  If you have food in your stomach it will block the medication from working.

Now taking your thyroid medication helps a FSH (follicle stimunlating hormone) which is needed to ripen an egg up for fertilization.  So Eat fresh foods and eat fish, chicken, lean meats, do not eat junk and ready made foods.  Stay away from Gluten as it bothers the thyroid.

Have a mineral panel (blood levels):  to include Potassium, calcium, magnesium, Iron, ferritin, sodium, and Vit B-12 and Vit D.  This will help make sure you are not low in important minerals and vitamins needed for good health.

Keep us posted, and any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly

Just please may i ask you...as im sure you have Great knowledge....my tsh levels were 6...i was feeling so poorly....so was prescribed 50 levythyroxine....i had a repeat blood test after 6 weeks,my tsh levels now 4...i feel alot better...but if i exert myself ie...ride my bike or lift heavyish items to clean or i dont Wrap up in Lots of layers of clothing,thinking i can walk thé dog in a bit of wind....bang....it hits me,im ill for a féw days,Like i have hyperthermia and body flu....

Could i need a higher dose...im afraid my Gp will think im knowing more than him....Sorry to butt in on conversation x

Lisa

• Posted

Hello Lisa:

No problem, always ask a question.

Levothyroxine starts at 25mcg and most people require 75mcg  up to 150mcg with most people on an average of 100mcg daily. Some need more and some need less.  Some of it goes by your body weight also.

It sounds like a lot, I know.  That is good if your TSH came down to 4, but most doctors like it in the 1.0 to 3.0 range area.

Now make sure you get enough iron, ferritin is a component of iron and is needed to make Levo work well.  You need the ferritin level at 70 + and if it is under that you may find it harder to make Levo work.

We also need our Vit D and B-12 to be in good shape so I take a multivitamin daily and you should also.  Good Vit D prevents muscle aches and pains.  1000IU to 2000IU a day is good.  It keeps our bones in good health also.

As your TSH comes down in time and the body is slow, you will not feel COLD and many of the bad symptoms will fade away.  Doctors like to start Levo at a low dose and then change the dose based on your blood levels and sometimes this has to happen until they can find the right amount for you.

Don't do too much exercise or strain yourself too much as you are building a level in you and it can take 6 to 12 weeks to do this each time your dose is changed.  Set small goals, and given time you will feel better.

Eat proper foods and avoid soda and gluten items and ready made foods.  Fish and lean meats and chicken are good.  Ready made foods have a lot of phosphates and sodium & gluten and this can attack the thyroid and cause trouble to the body and joints. They zap energy also.

Keep us posted on how you do and keep up the good work on your TSH. You will get better.

Regards,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.