Recent Diagnosis

Posted , 7 users are following.

How long will I expect before I see a consultant?

NW England

Recently diagnosed.

I see members talk about being in AF and out.

Excuse my ignorance but how do I know whether I am 

in or out smile

Some days I seem better than others. 

-----

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Update:

Nurse I just saw said I have a slightly slow heart beat.

Said to ask my doctor to up the dose of Bisoprolol.

That should fix the breathlessness. 

I thought my AF was fast!

can you bounce between being slow and fast?

I would think it is one or the other?

Easier to win the lottery than to see a GP these days.

-------

• Posted

Hope you get on ok with bisop. I had to swap to Verapamil due zombie ism! Was better on that. Also, I put on a stack of weight when on meds - was also given Rivaroxaban, the newer style thinners. In all, Ive loaded on almost 2st which really upset me as Ive never had a weight issue. I stopped all meds last summer (with permission) and so far, lost about 7lbs. Plenty more to go! Watch your foods too Ron. I have some very bizarre foodie triggers, and if you read wider through this group, many have similar issues for AF. I dont drink alcohol, fizzy drinks, no sausages (no idea!!), toblerone, crisps, certain yoghurt brands etc, etc. I too used an inexpensive wrist monitor with a phone app. Surprising to collate the results at times, and can point you toward unconsidered triggers.
    • Posted

Food did not seem to have an effect on my AF. Mind you I didn't look too hard, as I enjoy my food! There may have been a link with alcohol though - not that I drink a lot, because it conflicts with other meds.

• Posted

I have piled on over two stone in the last month or so.

Didnt think it might be down to new meds.....

Would like to loose most of that.

never been overweight before...

• Posted

I had no other reasonable explanation for my gain. Ate like a sparrow but every week, gained 1 or 2 lbs. Since stoppings meds, it is finally shifting, albeit slowly. Its interesting to check out the side effects - some appear to lose weight. Sadly, not I!!
  • Posted

When in AF I'd expect a rapid heart beat, but when not in, and on beta blockers, mine was slow - down about 50 sometimes. But I would expect more BBs to slow the rate, not increase it. And Bisoprolol didn't suit me - I was in perpetual AF. But individual reactions vary.

• Posted

Yes, I think she was wrong about the BB slowing the rate.

Surely it would rise?

------

• Posted

Someone's confused here. You said earlier that the nurse suggested an increased dose of Bisoprolol would INCREASE your heart rate, which was too low. I don't believe it would do that.

• Posted

Bampa,

I'm going to see my doc next week.

See what he thinks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.