Recent Emg, muscle/ neurological problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

been having muscle/ neurological problems for many years and recently  had an emg and was  wondering if i should be concerned about the results.

here is the report,

This study is abnormal, Scant positive sharp-waves were noted in some muscles, including the paraspinal muscles with questionable myopathic motor units in the paraspinal muscles. there is also evidence of mild compression in the right median nerve. I consider a myotonic disorder despite the absence of clinical myotonia. I recomond refferal to our academic neuromuscular colleagues for assesment.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would definitely follow their recommendation to see a neurologist as this does show abnormal results. You don't want things to get worse if there might be a way to stop or slow the progression. 
  • Posted

As you say you have had muscle problems for many years you might like to check out McArdle Disease. You could Google this phrase to find that page on the AGSD-UK web site" "Could my problems be due to McArdle Disease?".
    • Posted

that is interesting, one the neuro's thought it might have been a type of metabolic disorder( think mcardle sounds like a metabolic disorder?), and the other neuro thinks its a myotonic disorder such as hyperkalmic periodic paralysis due to elavted potassium and liver ez
    • Posted

Yes McArdle's is a metabolic disorder. Although ultra rare, it is the most common of this type of condition. We tend to have slightly raised levels of the liver enzymes ALT and AST, as they are also released from muscle breakdown. Periodic paralysis tends to cause problems if sedentary for long periods, whereas with McArdle's it is activity that causes problems - especially between about minute 2 and minute 8 of quite gentle exercise, but also in all more intense activity.
    • Posted

you might be right about mcardles, my doctor was checking my ck, pottassium, and alt and i wanted to do some excerises a few days prior to blood work to see if it effected my pottasium/alt. All i did was some simple situps/pushups and it made my ck level go over 5000. i wanted him to check my latic acid aswell as i have been having shortness of breathe/breathing problems forever but he wouldnt and said to leave it for the specalist sad
    • Posted

That is very interesting, it would definitely seem that you have a muscle condition. Your GP is probably right, for McArdle's there would be no point in a lactic acid blood test at the GPs, it has to be done in gym/lab conditions - with a series of blood samples taken to see that the lactic acid does NOT rise during exercise. I am the McArdle's Co-ordinator for AGSD-UK, 248 of us here. Are you in the UK? If so send me a message through the "Contact Us" form on the AGSD-UK web site, then we can chat more directly and I can help a lot with referral for diagnosis. If your heritage is UK there is about an 80% chance that you can be diagnosed from a very simple blood test for DNA which can be done through your GP.
    • Posted

I am from canada, ( are medical system officaly sucks i think lol) the neurogist said he reffered me to a western clinic for als and muscle problems, ( 3 months ago been calling neurogoist every few weaks and they say they havent heard anything), so my family doctor said i should call the place they are sending me to, so i did that today and they said they never got the refferal lol soo now i waited 3 months for nothing. waiting to here back form them now should be sometime today.
    • Posted

Oh dear what a mess! The best man in Canada for McArdle's is Dr Mark Tarnopolsky at McMaster Childrens Hospital in Toronto. He sees adults as well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.