Recent ETD Diagnosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to all of this.  Is the picture I'm getting from the discussions posted here as grim as it sounds?  I've gone 3 weeks with clogged ears.  The ringing, pressure, poor hearing, etc.  Been on ear drops, antibiotics and steroids.  Infections gone, clogged ears not. The ENT today said nose and ears look fine and "wait it out, be patient and continue Flonase and use Sudafed". That's it??!!!  He also ordered a CATSCAN for my ears.  I asked about tubes he said wouldn't help; I asked about the new balloon proccedure for eustachian tubes and he was very noncomittal  and mentioned the part about the proximity of the artery leading to the brain being adjacent to tubes.  I am literally astonished leaving there today; so upset.  Does this sound familiar to everyone in terms of the steps?  And then of the catscan is normal "just live with this" terrible feeling?  

Thanks for your feedback!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ann, I'm sorry you are suffering with this. No, its not all grim! They are coming up with new things every day for ETD. I think you are doing the first things that every dr will tell u to, with the sprays, meds and CT scan. I also have not heard anything good about tubes. After suffering for over 3 yrs, i had the balloon dilation surgery and have been symptom free for 5 yrs. I did a lot of research even back then.  They have PubMed medical statistics on the procedure that you can read on the internet.  Most ENT's arent familiar with the procedure. You don't have to just live with it anymore, not with all the new technology. However, u are only a few weeks into this awful condition, there is a chance your body will fix itself, or the meds will start to work.  Try to stay positive! 

• Posted

Thanks for your quick response Diana! I've read many of your posts on this site and you are a saint for all the time and help and support you provide to everyone.  Thank you again, yes going to be positive and hope this fixes itself!

• Posted

That's very kind of you to say. I have been in everyone's shoes, who posts here and I know how devastating this can be.  I know balloon dilation isn't the answer for everyone, but it can be for some, and most ENT's haven't even heard of it yet, or are afraid of it because they don't know enough about it. I just vowed when i got better i wouldn't leave this community stranded without any hope.  I know what it's like not having any hope...I truly believe we will all find our answer in time and not to give up.  

• Posted

Hi there, yep, completely in the same boat as the rest of us on here.  Terrible condition and we are left to put up with it.  I tell everyone on here of my experience, that I've suffered ETD since the 1980's and to this day still suffer.  Sinus and congestion plus allergies that I'm sure are my culprits.  I've tried everything.  I think very soon I will be asking for a reducing method course of Prednisolone steriod tablets......three week on these and everything clears up.  Sense of smell and taste return too.  They get rid of all the inflammation and dry up mucus, that I'm sure sticks the eustachian tubes together.  Sadly, this problem caused me to contract bacterial meningitis in 1994, leaving me partially deaf in one ear with tinnitus and the sight gone in my left eye.  Once an earache occurs antibiotics would be recommended.  Today both my ears are blocked and drags me down so much.  Sinus headache over eyebrows pretty much 3 times a week.  Sorry can't write anything that will permantely help with this problem.  I see my ENT consultant twice yearly since my illness.

Good luck

Anne

• Posted

Anne, thank you for responding.  Gosh I'm sorry for what you have gone through over the years.  I'm so sorry.  I hope and pray you can find something to help with the sinus headaches and hope the prednisolone kicks in with relief. The prednisolone didn't work for me and made me feel weird.  Thank you and I hope you feel better.

• Posted

I have a weird thing going on with etd. And i had nutty jaw pain that comes and goes.after a while with it. This time.Now im told tmd. I have have tmj twenty years mind you without this jaw pain stuff. Ten years back they gave me ear tube worked great only they fall out. They did it twice so i have the scarring cant keen doing it. Im in hell. At times clogged ears. Buzzing, had ear twitched inside at onset..i sat ent, and a maxialleary surgeon. Its been two solid weeks since it got bad enough to mess with my mind and my dreams oddly. If i comolain too much im told i seem nuts but im nit its so mind bending and makes me unhaooy. Im trying different stuff to help it. Awaitng to find physcial therapy for it and maybe accuouncture. I see a thematoid dr minday and am nervous if he will guve me some untreatavke diagnosis, whuch will annoy me. Google says its limited to minths and self corrects. Ooh i hope so. Its wioing me out in so many ways. I had the flu in december and nothing has been all good since. I cant use muslcke relaxants at the risk if my eyes. I also have an optic nerve pallor and mri nited decreased oxygen to that eye but i know why. So the oothamologist threw out we will watch for glacoma but felt it was frim a virus mono i had a long time back. But i need to be careful of meds i use. And it seems mist dint work anyway because if you clench and such that the root cause. So im getting very frustrated.  No one scanned me either they say insurance says no at the ent office. The maxillary surgeon said it is in the muscle. You can see my jaw has swuared which is common look for tmd pople. The surgeon said its common but i dont think all these noises are common but sporadic. The baloon thing might be a bad idea if this is from your clenching or bruxism if you have that. And it has risks to it as well. So if the scan didnt show fluids there its inflammation and they go to tmj or tmd at that point. Ent never really mention that oddly. One did by luck thats hiw i knew the first time tem years ago. And that all did recover until this year.i havent gotten a scan yet. Id want the scan of the jaw included.unsire if they can do both. And possible the vpcervial neck all works together. Insurance locks all this so its hard to acquire it but im hoping the rhematoid dr can help in this. Just not with some out there diagnosis. I have been nited to get a sleep apnea test which they dont cure either and that scares me to deal with stuff like that too many forum stories. 

Best  results i have seen for people is accuouncture so far. You tell them your issues and they know what to do. It does hurt a little frim what i am told. It just does but if it works i guess who cares. Im too weary of a chiropractor noone is snapping my bones.

• Posted

Ugh so many typos. Sorry. Im seeing a rhematoid dr. On monday* i hooe you get the jist from the rest. 
    • Posted

ooh and be weary of cosmetic dentisry who say they know tmj they want to make money in new teeth and such. Needs to be a maxillary surgeon md or a real tmjj/tmd clinic. But still even knowing i am here with issues.so need to eule out rhematoid/auto immune  stuff  and still the bottim line will be alternative. Acupunctire, cranisacral therapy..there are real tmd therapist that work with this. So if yiur bite has always been good its not that but clenching is a while nither ball game. Lightly tap your teeth and see if you feel teeth sensitivity at any time in the day. I wish you ouck Lord know i need an angel on my shoulder directing me as well.hot water bottles for placing it in you effected side and if bith then both sides. They sell a headband like thing and small little water filled bags you heat up and slide into the side pockets. The heat is what the surgeon told me to use. I guess ice would annoy the sinuses i dint  even know. No matter what oain killer or steroid you consume just realize if yiur constantly doing something they want be the answer one forum guybtalked about 5htp serotnin to help which slides back into sleep issues. But i dont  know if that is healthy for me. I have some more dr appointments and ill see how this plays out. Feel better. Just because the ent dr wasnt helpful doesnt mean your at a dead end at all. If yiu can go see a rheumatoid dr, a maxiallry surgein nit a cosmetic dr!  And then If someone said if you give a thousand dollars (not  all at since) and i can heal you you would. I would but cant all at once.So you have to think outside the box as well..acuounture, chiro if you are not scared of them...etc..
    • Posted

Thank you Lisa for all the time spent with your replies.  Very helpful.  Good luck to you.
  • Posted

Here's an update: Sudafed and flonaase for two weeks now.  Things have kind of improved.  I have normal hearing in one ear for some parts of the day.  I had a CT scan and it turned out normal.  The ENT prescribed Opti-Vent.  Anyone used it?  You blow up a ballon with your nose and its supposed to help unclog eustachian tubes.  My husband also ordered on line Eustachi which is also supposed to unclog tubes.  I was so afraid to use either one.  I was so afraid of popping pressure.  Ive used both but I'm not sure its working.  I think there is some movement in one ear and I'm spitting up some gunk (sorry) but, the ears clog up again especially in the evening.  Anyone have experience with any of these?  I'm simply doing the first part of the two things you can do with the opti- clear.  I haven't done the inflate method. 

• Posted

Morning Ann,  Just come across your message.  Which country are you in ?  You should try and read all of the posts on here, you may find some help from someone.  So many of us suffering the same.  Many are resulting in asking for a prescription from their GP's for a course of Prednisolone steriod tablets.  Myself and to others are on them at the moment and the relief is just wonderful.  Clears ears, inflammation, shrinks polyps (if any present) I have them on both sides and helps with sinus issuses too.  If you're are stil suffering, give them a go, as this problem can potentially groan on forever.

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.