Recent experience of over active bladder

Posted , 4 users are following.

Was sat in the bank recently speaking to an adviser when I realised I needed the bathroom. As it was nothing urgent I thought I'd leave it a bit. But the urge suddenly ramped up from 2 on a scale of 1 - 10 to 10! Was told the ladies were on the top floor, up four flights of stairs! So not having got my crutch with me as I'd only recently had an hip replacement, I said I'd not go up all those stairs, I'd go in the nearby Arts Centre. It's only 2 mins walk round the corner. But it was the walk from hell!! May as well have been 100 miles away. To say I was desperate was an understatement. Could barely put one foot in front of the other, the pain was so bad. Was shaking and starting to feel sick, dreading wetting myself in the town centre! I'm 59 you see and I could imagine people pointing or even laughing at me. I was really really scared. Didn't think I'd make it to the Arts Centre. But I did. It was the worst walk of my life though. How I managed not to have an accident, I have no idea. Now the thing is, me and the family are off on holiday at the end of the month. Driving down from Southport to Poole to get the ferry to St Helier. Dreading getting this overactive bladder feeling in the car again (It happened a couple of years ago) and what if there are no available loos on the ferry should it happen again. You get the picture. Up to press it's only happened 4 times. Once in the car 2 years ago and three times in the last three months. But it's scared me enough to not want to go on holiday if I'm honest. I've had problems down below ongoing for 2 years now and am on GYNEST for Vaginal Atrophy. I think the hip op actually dulled my regular urge to go to the bathroom as on the hole it doesn't fee like it used to, not as noticeable. But just on these few occasions it's really gone over the top so it's completely overwhelming. And i wouldn't mind but it can happen if you've only just been to the loo too, so your bladder doesn't have to be full or anything. Has anyone on here in the UK tried Urestomol? If so, has it helped? Thanks for listening.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Oh i do symoathise Shirley. I have diagnosed urge incontinency. It's horrible. I was diagnosed at 48. Get yourself to the doctor n explain your symptoms etc. He'll hopefully get you an appointment at the urology clinic at hospital.

In the mean time don't let it spoil your holiday. Pad yourself up (i prefer santiary protection to the Tena type things that are available....just my preference). I don't move without some form of protectìon!! Look on a map for motorway services/super markets or any where that is likely to have a toilet so at least you know if needed and enjoy your holiday.

All the best for the future and have a brilliant stressfree holliday!!

Helen x

• Posted

In addiction to small everyday leakages, I had rare big accidents during the day. Usually these happen to me for a mix of causes, I feel sudden urgency to pee and if I can find a free bathroom in half an hour I wet myself. It's hard to me to predict these moments. What my doctors always suggested me, and I strongly suggest you too, is never let incontinence to change your life. There are bigger protections that are very comfortable and discreet nowadays, even under pants. I wear them always when I'm out of home and I'm not 100% sure there is a free bathroom near me, or traveling, movies... You could wear wide pads, pull-ups or even adult diapers, they are real peace of mind and they let you go on with your normal life. Don't give up having your holiday, that could be a mistake.

I don't know Urestomol, maybe I tried something similar that helped a little bit, still accidents happen.

Best wishes and have a good summer!

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your rare big accidents during the day Mary. Though your situation is different to mine in as much as I don't even have 30 mins to find a loo if the OAB feelings get me. It's like sudden major pain and it needs the loo NOW! Extremely scary stuff. But that's the other problem I agree. I never know when the OAB feelings are going to get me. I have now been and brought some pads to wear when we go on holiday and some Bach Rescue Remedy to calm me down as the OAB feelings get me totally panicked. So yes I'm going on holiday but it was partly my hubbys driving that was/is putting me off too if I'm honest. Not got any Urestomol as yet. May ask Doc what she thinks first. I know I've only had 4 episodes of OAB but one is enough to leave me half scared to death. I just don't want to think this is the early days of OAB and its going to get worse from here onwards! :-(

• Posted

Unfortunately sometime I have too the sudden urgency to go to the bathroom immediately or I wet myself, the majority of these times happened after I was sitting for long time or after lunch and a visit to the bathroom then I had unexpected extreme urgency. Few other times in different situations and this scare me the most, it can happen in every moment so I can totally relate.

As suggested, it's good to try and to use different kinds of protections according to your comfort, need and situation. I had heavy accidents (almost all the bladder) in the past so for traveling I wear a heavy incontinence protection. Maybe a pull-up style protection, like Tena pants or similar, is better than pad for traveling if you have not only leakages. You can find products selection help on some seller website, or I'm here for advises. Then no panic, after holidays you can contact urologist and look for a therapy, there are a lot of efficient ways to solve incontinence nowadays. My problem is small weak bladder in addiction to a mix of causes and I had always some level of incontinence, in your case it seems just something that can be quickly fixed so probably it will go better and better from here onward or even stop in few days! Don't worry ...and yes, be happy in your holidays!

• Posted

Hi, ive only tis week have started using the always discreet pants. Im 31 and have being having problems with my bladder. These products have gave me so much confidence. And their discreet so it just gives u peace of mind if u have to go out somewere. Ive had an accident last week. And the embaressment is much more than wearing the pants. Good luck and enjoy ur holiday. Xx
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you have bladder problems too Tessy. Yes I've got some pads now so I will see how I get on with them. I don't know if I will need some with higher absorbancy or what but I can soon get some can't I. Sorry you had an accident. I almost had one at the bank a couple of weeks ago. The pain was dreadful and I knew the only way to get rid of it was to empty my bladder. I was so near to wetting myself in the centre of a busy town. I wss imagining people pointing at me and even taking photos and posting them on Facebook. I was beside myself. So god knows how I got to the loo but I did. All I know is I do not want to feel like that ever again! Thank you. I hope I cope ok on holiday too.

• Posted

Hopefully u will. I had to buy several types to try and now i have found the right one im so happy. I didnt have muxh time from the min i knew it was gonna happen it just happened. Sont ever want it to happen again. Just try tem out and c wat suits u best. Good luck. Xx
    • Posted

Yes I will probably have to try several types too till I get the right ones. Glad you are so happy. That's fab. Yes the same here. As soon as I get that overwhelming su

• Posted

Hi Ladies....i went back to the hospital yesterday. I've tried most of the tablets but don't take them for very long as they all seemed to really dry my mouth out. I've now been offered a new tablet that doesn't do that while they sort out a new treatment for me. I've had 2 lots of botox in the last 18 months which is great but doesn't last very long on me. I'm going to try what is basically acupuncture in my feet!! Sounds bizzare but apparently it works. I'll need 6 20 minute sessions. If it helps then great....i'm padded up 24/7. Daren't not be. My lowest moment came when i was in a Tescos in the fruit n veg bit. I needed to go NOW....too late!!!! There i was wetting my self whilst everyone happily shopped oblivious to what was happening to me. As i said i'm padded up all the time (you get used to it...rather that than be seen to wet yourself!). Needless to say i went home and sobbed!!

Although OAB is a bloomin pain i refuse to let it stop me. Pad up n be loo aware!!

X x

• Posted

overwhelming sudden urge to go, I have to get to the loo at speed of Concorde! How I didn't have an accident the other week, I will never know. The pain and panic till I found a loo were horrific. Anyway the pads will help. :-)

• Posted

Blimey you've been through it haven't you Helen! Fingers crossed the acupuncture helps you. How often does the OAB affect you? Three times a week? More? Less? So far I'm just in the early days but none the less it has really scared me. So sorry you had an accident in Tesco. I'm glad nobody saw you. That's my absolute worst dread, that someone would see me. I am sure I would have done like you and had a good cry at home. So yes, I will be padding up for the holiday and will check out where there are loos on Jersey before we set off. Seeing the Bladder and Continence nurse soon after we get back from holiday. I hope the OAB isn't worse by then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.