Recent folate defiency, also have b12 defiency and ferritin low normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I would like advice on my situation if anyone can help?

I am 27 and was diagnosed as b12 deficient when I was 16 years old and have been on 12 week injections ever since. I have had two pregnancy's and my ferritin levels have always been lowish and in my last pregnancy nearly had a blood transfusion but luckily got to take ferrous sulphate instead.

I have recently been feeling extremely tired, pins and needles, out of breath etc and had bloods done at the docs. My folate level was 2.6 which is classed as deficient, my b12 was 1127 which was too high and I had my injection later that day so that was before my injection and my ferritin was 30. My doctor prescribed me 5mg folic acid but my symptoms have worsened since taking these and I have a really sore tongue with ulcers now. They haven't bothered with my ferritin iron levels although last year my level was 35 and they prescribed me more ferrous sulphate.

Is it possible that my b12 is not being properly used because my folate levels are low. I've had my folate levels checked a lot over the years but it has always been the very low end of normal. Normally around 3.2 but my b12 is always too high but I have been told that I have to have injections for life.

Should I be asking for more iron tablets? I'm exhausted with trying to get the doctors to listen to me, without sounding bad I really do n

ot think they have a clue about these conditions.

I am really struggling with the 5mg of folic acid and it makes me feel worse but I'm scared that I will make myself worse?

Im a mum of two and work full time and I am really struggling. Is there other supplements that I should be using? For example I now know but didn't until recently that you need good folate levels for your body to process the b12. Is this the same for folate/ folic acid.. Is there a supplement I need that makes that work or should I try a lower dose?

Many thanks for reading my essay lol 😃

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I was prescribed 5mg Folic acid and had to quit them after a fortnight as i was listless and had no appetite . Apparently 5mg is correct initially , the idea is that it gives the deficiency a much needed boost , but the correct dosage is 0.5mg for continual use. Speak to your doctor and taking these with correct food intake may get your levels up. I've been feeling pretty rotten for about 9 months and my folc acid level is low, only 1.5 but taking the tablets and eating correctly can only help and I look forward to my next blood test . Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.