Recent Haemorrhoidectomy operation 4 days pre operation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello

I have recently just had an haemorrhoidectomy procedure, and i am at my wits end, the pain and burning is horrendous, i have had 2 BM which the first was fear stricken, which i just about copped with.i am using the bath to sit in hot water, and also pouring cold water over my sore area, how long does this procedure take to calm down and see improvement, i am on day 4 , Thanks Neil 54 uk

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

You have helped me also Lou, with your kind words, advice and general caring nature, this operation is certainly not one to have if you are alone at home, thankfully im not, but family cant see the pain your going through, only others that are going through the same post op feelings can relate to it, so this site bringing people together, is such a helpful thing, they say you get a good day and bad, im on a bad day, i had a bm earlier, and boy the pain wont settle down today, and that is the downer with this operation, you have to grind it out, im in bed, but just cant get comfortable, and it wears ya down, hopefully it will settle more in the next few days and i will feel like getting out of bed, as that alone would help. hope you have a good day and thank you for our chats, its helped me greatly, i hope if people reading this conversation can get some relief to there own post op pain and worries, thats a good thing, TC Neil

• Posted

Ahhh, thank you so much. I completely agree. Talking to others in the same boat is so helpful during recovery. I hope you had a better day today. I too have good and not so good days still. I am not in pain, but I still feel inflamed and swollen and I ache, as well as having a throbbing sensation that troubles me too. It is aggravated depending on the type of stool my body produces, despite me keeping my diet balanced and clean. This sure takes its own sweet time. Really plays on your mind at times too, so it is just as much about staying positive and taking care of mental well-being. It is still really early doors for you, but you are through the worst.

• Posted

Hi, yeah its that throbbing pain i could just about handle, i am at the end of day 11 now, im finding any bm not nice, because on day 5 i developed something outside, which i thought was a thrombosis, but A&E said it wasn't, and every bm, this lump gets agitated, and boy then its 2 or 3 hrs of stinging and burning, nearly done me in, if it wasn't for this lump, i think i would be out of bed, but im not risking it, but like you said Lou, its a good day then a bad day, did you have any effect after you went out? like you say, we must keep positive, if i hadn't family around, i really dont think i would of coped, i feel sorry for people alone having this operation, it must be horrible, but they should be kept in hospital if thats the case, anybody reading these messages, you will get through it, there are dark days, but you do see the light at the end of the tunnel, and take your meds, and be prepared before you have it, plan ahead from insights on this page,

Neil

• Posted

I really feel for you Neil because it sounds like without the lump, you'd be really seeing progress. I have read other people's comments on here saying they developed the same and it did disappear on it's own after a while. I am keeping everything crossed it is the same for you. You are right...nobody should have this surgery done without arranging to have someone stay with them. Anyone going through this is a warrior!

I went out for a short walk today and that was wonderful. I could feel when my body was telling me enough and I returned home. So no Neil, no ill effects from gentle exercise and the benefits for my mind outweighed the fact I feel inflamed still. It is a strange recovery process this. It is so hard to trust I am actually healing because there is always fear i'll do something that will make the haemorrhoids return to their old size. I had the Halo-RAR procedure and I think it may take me months to trust this operation has worked. I still don't feel quite right - although definitely 80 percent better than before the op now and life is certainly improved even with the fact I am still healing. I feel scared to do too much too soon, so i am taking things slowly. You'll get there, Neil. Day 11 is still very very early on in the healing process.

• Edited

its great your getting out Lou, that will do wonders for your well being, im hoping to get out this bed tomorrow and spend some time downstairs, but the beds become a bit of a safe place after the aftermath of this op, so i am a bit weary, my lumps eased up a bit, but still there , hopefully it settles in time, im not even 2 weeks in yet, its day 12 for me today, like you said, its just gentle exercise, i was signed off for a month, but it worries me and being 100%, how do you no, i guess just take it day by day, can i please say, my experience post operation has been horrendous from day 2 to day 8, and if it wasn't for this page and our messages and your advice, i really dont no how i would of got through it, so i am so grateful to you for that. we may never meet, may never talk but youve been a friend indeed. many thanks Lou.

Neil 🙂

• Edited

well im at day 13, had a good nights sleep, thought id walk outside for 5 mins, felt great, came back in, took meds, got ready for a shower, before i did, i passed a bm, and from that moment im in utter agony, i took a shower, got out, and the pain is 10 out 10, throbbing, burning and stinging, ive taken 2 extra gabapentin, and its just taken it down to 7 out 10, i really thought i was turning the corner, but now it feels as bad as it did at my worst time, hope it settles quick for me, as its sheer hell.

• Posted

Hello Neil

I am so sorry for the radio silence. I too have had a rough couple of days. Lots of tears shed by me because despite the fact I have been healing well and continue to do so, one of my piles has refused to die. It is so depressing. I returned to the surgeon yesterday after experiencing throbbing and back pain again and feeling a swelling. He tells me that actually, given the severity of my case, the initial surgery with Halo-RAR has been highly successful. It has saved my anal floor and prevented unthinkable suffering that I would have faced with a traditional haemorrhoidectomy on a fully circumferential stage 4 prolapse. But it is now clear, this was always going to be a two pronged attack. I will be scheduled for a second surgery this month at the 6 week post op stage when it is safe to re-operate. Just waiting on the date. This will be a corrective job. My wonderful surgeon who is just so darn caring and compassionate with all this has told me it'll be a 10 min surgery under general anaesthetic. He tells me it wont be anywhere near the extensive work I had done last time, as its one small haemorrhoid that has managed to get itself right in the way of my passing bowel movements, plus a skin tag removal. We know though, don't we Neil. A simple day case, none life threatening procedure to finish the job for a surgeon is still pain and suffering in recovery post op for us. He tells me he can get me back to health and much better than I have been for years suffering with this god damn awful condition. So, once again I am faced with bracing myself for more surgery and the difficult process of healing afterwards.

I am so sorry I couldn't respond to you in your time of need Neil. I was thinking the same. You too have been a friend indeed.

How are you? Did you seek advice? It seems you too have a pile that is causing you agony. I am so sorry that after getting out for fresh air, one bowel movement set the whole thing back. I feel you. I really do. This does get better for us both. It is just the road to health with piles, is not a simple fix for most of us it seems. One thing I know...you and I had no choice in this surgery. You needed that operation Neil. There was no mistakes here. I had no choice either. We find ourselves battling through but don't lose hope. You will be free of haemorrhoid suffering one day and so will I. We are just going through the ringer to get there! There is a life beyond this and I am shooting for it. What else is there to do? We will look back one day knowing we are better off for having passed through a ring of fire to get there.

• Posted

Hi Lou, so sorry to hear that, me and you are roughly going through the same situation, as you are, i have this one damn pile down there, that has come back, and as yours is, its right in the way of bowel movements, its so bloody uncomfortable and swollen, im using germoloid cream but its not doing much, id did have a telephone appointment with my doctor this morning who said it just takes time to heal, thank christ its nothing like monday, as the pain was near unbearable, i have to go back and see my surgeon in 6 weeks, im really hoping its not a second operation, unless its simple, but we are the ones suffering afterwards not them, i feel your pain and tears Lou, Monday i was crying as well, so i am exactly in the same boat as you, so maybe we can gather strength that we are not alone in this horrible post op stage, be strong as im trying to be, TC Neil

• Posted

Thank you Neil. We definitely find ourselves in the same boat, unfortunately. I have learned my lesson. I am not leaving this job half done or I simply kick the ball back up the road. I have been through so much and come so far. I can't give up now at this hurdle but I am scared, Neil of what's ahead.

I am sure it would be a simple op Neil because you have had the major work done, but pain free? I guess I will be able to report back. I wish you were not going through this, but it is so helpful to know someone else out there going through the same stages and having the same fight, is surviving. Neil, I pray yours shrinks. I really do. I am so glad you are doing better than Monday. That's great. I am going backwards a bit here. Can't sit well again. So I shall be feet up. I have been virtually horizontal now for 5 weeks! And looks like another 5 of the same ahead of me. I am trying to be strong. Messages from you are helping me no end. We are united in keeping up the good fight!

• Posted

I am laughing reading that message back! How many times did I write the name, Neil. I should have read back my message. Anyway...at least i am laughing lol

• Edited

yes its some relief knowing someone is going through the same, theres one very small bonus, ive only eaten soup and jelly for the last 15 days so have lost 10lb. aiming for a stone, i wasnt that much over weight 14 stone, but now feel lighter 🤣 but im on day 15 in bed, just feels a safe place, thats coming from a ex builder, i thought i was pretty strong but this knocks you big time.

• Posted

What part of London are you from, i'm from Southampton, hopefully we will both be all fixed for the summer, thats what we should aim for, got to keep positive, your prepared for a second operation so that's good.

• Posted

I'm on the outskirts of West London. I know Southampton reasonably well, and I am often in Portsmouth at Gunwarf Keys - lol. Well I was, before I was taken down by roids!

So we are in the same corner of this planet really, dealing with this. I love that! Lets keep looking towards those summer days ahead 😃 And all the many summer days and years to come yet. We are both still too young to be dealing with this crap (literally!) and although I am not ready really for surgery, I feel like there's no choice other than to just get on with it. In 5 days I've gone from walking outside and no pain bar feeling a swelling, to that becoming a lump coming down, backache and feeling sick when I have a bm. Days count! Every day there is more change in this recovery process. For better or for worse. Its me or the haemorrhoid. It has got to go! I am sick sick sick of feeling this way. Plus my mental health has suffered so much in the process. I hate living in fear!

• Posted

Ooh just saw your first comment! Me too! 😃 I have lived off soup, casserole, veg, wholemeal bread, chicken and fish! I have lost a stone too! Been trying to shed that for years - lol I'll disappear before this is over! Not - hee hee

• Edited

i was thinking the same lol after this is over ill be down to my height weight of about 11 stone 🤣 i did alot of driving into London center, heathrow when i was an owner driver same day courier, but covid killed that. your 100% right this roid issue shouldn't get the better of us, i was bleeding really bad for about 4 months before i had the operation, so it was a must i have it done, post op i wish i hadn't, but the after effects make you feel like that, gun walf keys never been there, i go to Waterlooville and gosport alot, due to playing pool tournaments, i have one a week this Sunday, and hoping to make it, only if i feel 100% right though. i feel a little better today,but then you have a bm and it flares it up, dont think ive ever spoke about bm, roids so much 🤣🤣 not a nice subject, but we are in this thing, and can relate to everything going on, TC Neil

• Edited

ha ha! I know. People really shouldn't be embarrassed about taking about their bowels. If there is one thing this experience has shown me, its that we cant live without our bums working properly! I really hope you've had a good day. I also hope you get to that pool tournament. I go back in for my second op in two weeks 若

• Posted

Hi Lou, good advice about my number, just asked them to delete the comment, didn't think, i don't use social media much. 2 weeks for your operation then, try not to worry about it, worry about it on the day, but its going to put you right so that's a great thing, and its not as big this one, so hopefully less post op issues, you tc

Neil

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.