Recent increase from 15 mg to 30 mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

Having tried Citalopram (and passing out 2 hours later), I was moved onto Mirtazapine, as I previously passed out on Prozac so SSRIs were not recommended.  I started on 15mg on Mirtazapine and after 2 months the sleeping was great, but I did not feel it was touching the depression itself. 

I was increased to 30mg just over two weeks ago and since then I have felt worse than I did before the increase.  I wasn't sure if this was due to putting pressure on myself to be ok over christmas (I have a lovely wife and two children and didn't want to spoil it), but have spent some part of each day in tears.  I just feel frustrated at feeling depressed and despondant I guess. 

I was considering droppoing down the Mirtazpine to 15mg again but realised it has only been two weeks (not the three I originally thought it had been).

Anyone have any experience of whether initially increasing their dose temporarily set them back, its so hard to know what to do for the best

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ronnie, the exact same thing happened to me.  I have now been on the 30mg for 8 weeks and the last 4 weeks venłafaxine has been added.  I have not noticed any improvement in my depression.  Sleep is ok but worse since being on the venłafaxine.

it didn't make sense to me that the dose increase would make things worse but it did.  Sorry not to be able to offer any glimmer of hope but I'm sure there are other people who are doing well on the higher dose and I'm also aware that you can feel worse and then better after a dose increase, I really hope this is the case for you.  Take care

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, did you initially start on 15mg too?  I did feel better anxiety wise on the 15mg but just didn't feel the depression was being touched, hence asking for the increase

• Posted

Yes started on 15mg which like you, helped the anxiety but not the depression
  • Posted

It will take time.  I'm surprised you got Mirtazapine after passing out on the other two - they are the same "family of antidepressants and at designed to "pep you up.  Mirtazapine is a different family and is a sedative antidepressant and so makes you sleepy.  I'm on this as the other two made me very agitated.
  • Posted

Hi robbie been on Mirt 30 for 11 months anxiety and depression all gone . Started on 15 then went up to 30 and experienced same symptoms as u state. It takes at least 13 weeks to benefit from the drug . I'm bak to normal and feel amazing x
    • Posted

Hi, I've been on Mirtazapine for 10 weeks, 8 of which at 30mg.  Did you see any improvement in your depression before the 13 week mark?  Thank you and happy new year x
    • Posted

Hey it was gradual did start to notice improvement overall after 13 weeks and every day got better and better now 8 months on feel amazing and so positive x and a happy new year to u to x hang in there this was my third episode of anxiety and depression in 11 years and each time recovered on Mirt 30 x
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, did you have the tearfullness also?  I seem to think that comes from a place of desperation and frustration, and in a way it does help to get those feelings out, but I know others seeing it do not understand it in the same way necessarily.

• Posted

Robbie I had terrible anger, irratibility and tearfulness was awful but it passes and I don't have any of that now. Also each time I have got better and came of the drug with no problems x take care x
    • Posted

Good (if that is the right word to use) that it is not just me, have you come off it successfully now or are you still taking it?
  • Posted

Hi ronnie

two weeks is not a very long time to change + ou need time to get the other stuff out of your system.  I found when the dose was increased that I was worse for a couple of weeks until my system became accustomed to the new dose.

PS. Hope 2015 is a better year for all of us!

• Posted

Sincere thanks to everyone who has replied, it is good to know that others have settled on the incresae to 30mg after a longer period than I have given it so far.  I think I still have a mental debate about whether depression is an illness that can be treated with drugs, or whether it is something I have done to myself.  Having cried after shouting at my 5 year old son, and realising I had over-reacted and being told by my 7 year old daughter "we all make mistakes Daddy", was pretty grounding.  I need to sort this out for my sake, but equally for the sake of my wife and my kids.  I do hope they start working to lift the depression soon.

• Posted

Robbie cure for depression is a mixture of the right med and talking therapy x once the med gives ur mood a lift then u can start to work on ur thots x
    • Posted

Hi Jacqueline, had you tried any other antidepressants before Mirtazapine?  And did you see any improvement at all before 13 weeks?  My sleep is better as is my anxiety but the depression is horrendous and not improving at all.  Thank you x
    • Posted

Hey I was on citalopram before and wanted to throw myself of a bridge was a nightmare so under no circumstances have I to b put on them x they also tried me on cymbalta to no effect x put me on 30 Mirt by psyche and helped amazingly x had horrendous side effects but hung in their and I'm fully recovered x Bearing in mind I cld not even leave the house this time last year x
    • Posted

Sometimes the Mirt helps sleep and appetite and does not just quite lift the depression x some psyches will then add another antidepressant during the day and the combo works perfectly however don't do this unless ur health practitioner advises x it's usually psychiatrists who authorise this because of their expertise and knowledge in the field x
    • Posted

Thank you. I'm on mirt and also Venlafaxine but yet to see any lifting of the depression, all under my psychiatrists guidance.  Am back to see him Monday as things aren't good, today was a terrible day.  Such a shame that the mirt hasn't helped the depression because it's been great for sleep and anxiety with very few side effects.  Thanks Jacqueline xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.