Recent memory strange behavior

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

My Mom, 54 years old had a brain aneurysm exploded 9 months ago, suffered from significent bleeding and now has a shunt. However she recovered very well, but only one thing is remaining which is recent memory. Doctors confirmed that recent memory is totally damaged and it could be irreversable, but we figured something out.

What we figured out is that she must READ or SEE someting to remember it, I mean no matter how many times we repeatedly TELL her something (say if she had coffee or not) she asks about it 5 minutes later, sometimes sooner than 5 minutes, and totally denies that she did, however if she reads it in a written format, like news on TV or Facebook, or if we text her important info, or when we keep diary for important daily events, she remembers it right away, and never asks about it again, as a normal person would do.

We have an appointment with her doctor by the end of the month but I'd like someone please to let us know if this could lead to something good for her, and how to make it better for her if possible, all ideas are welcome.

Any feedback please? Thanks in advance.

Fouad

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, there are many websites with information about dementia the signs and symptoms of, nhs choices and Alzheimer's society are good ones to look out. If your gp has any concerns they may do a memory test which is question's about dates/who the queen is etc. If they have any concerns they will refer to memory clinic who will then run further test's to see if there is any conditions.

If she is diagnosed they will have lots of information about what will happen, what you can do to help etc

Hope this helps.

• Posted

It is to be expected after a brain bleed as I had an SAH.

For a while I thought I was living in my old house but gradually my memory has returned all be it in small doses.  I found singing and laughter to be a good therapy.

Don't give up on Mum she needs all the love and care she can get or can she use a computer?  if so tell her about 'behind the gray' it is a site for people who have had a brain bleed and to be truthful I have never laughed so much xx

I also have a shunt fitted and I awoke and sang to the nurse whereas I'd been sleeping before shunt and how about getting her out for a cuppa xx Teach her to smile again xx

Regards

Win

• Posted

There is life after Anni/bleeds  trust me xx

• Posted

I used to say "Tell Dad I'll be up to see him when better" as I loved my Dad and I awoke one morning sobbing as I remembered my Dad died in 1999. had a good cry and missed him all over again.    Then remembered songs he taught me  all too rude for here  and started singing again.  Do you sing with Mum?  xx  if not try it one of her faves  xx Good  Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.