Recent severe knee pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 67 year old woman and was very healthy until 2 months ago.  I woke up one morning with pain on the inside of my knee joint (right leg).  I saw doctor and she sent me for X rays and dr told me I had MILD osteo arthritis. If anyone had my pain there is no way they would call it MILD.  It has deteriorated now and goes down the ball of my leg and even up my thigh at times.  The worst bit is the pain lying perfectly still in bed at nights. Its like a knife sticking into my leg.  Another problem I have is that my stomach does not tolerate strong painkillers so all I am taking is 8 paracetemol a day but I still suffer pain and my quality of life is deteriorating fast.  Can anyone identify with this. Thanks. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi freda.....maybe ask yout GP to refer you to an Orthopedic surgeon and have an MRI scan, they tend to show more than an xray. Follow it up, you can't live with that pain.
  • Posted

I agree this pain needs further investigation. Doednt sound like osteoarthritis, because it has come on do suddenly. But it is something though and needs fixing.
    • Posted

All the best. Hope you can get if sorted. If your stomach can cope, taking an anti inflammatory with the paracetomol is an effective pain killer. Or you could try an anti inflammatory gel on the knee.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.