Recent surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Can someone advise me please. I had surgery to repair a large anterior and posterior vaginal prolapse on 9th April. 

When can I start walking and building up my strength again? 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I had surgery on 21st March this year, almost 4 weeks ago. I have been advised that by 6 weeks I will be doing 30 minutes brisk walks twice a day and that I should be walking every day building up to the 30 mins. Also, told I will probably need a rest morning& afternoon which I have found true.

Good luck

Jennie 

• Posted

Hi Jennie

Thanks for your advice. When did you start walking. Did you start with 10 minutes a day and increase gradually? 

Louise 

• Posted

Hi Louise

Yes, I am increasing my walks gradually as instructed by my Consultant. She said to start with 5 minute walks from after the 1st week & build it up.

Jennie

• Posted

Definitely not 10 min a day.

I did gentle workaround house and garden first few weeks then may be increase slowly after tbat. Remember the first 6 wk s are most important for rest. Gentle moving feet while resting is good for clot prevention.walk

If I'm doubt speak to consultant..each patient ha s different aftercare.x

• Posted

I spent the entire first week basically in bed.  My in laws stayed with us and helped with the kids.  The second week I walked around the house and stuff but that was about it.  Husband and nanny took care of the kids.  In the third week I started going for short walks and started getting my energy levels back up.  I went back to work (office job sitting all day basically) at 4.5 weeks and I think it was too soon.  I would have preferred to go back at 6 weeks.  Hope this helps!  I can give you more detailed info if you want.  Rest up!
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice Restless. I have fibromyalgia too and my muscles are relieved when I move about. I’ve been told not to do Pilates or pelvic floor exercises until 6 weeks by gynaecologist. Louise x
    • Posted

I'd ask about Pilates as they may not be suitable for many months after.. Too much downward force.x

• Posted

Hi Lou Lou

As I have had your surgery and more 3 times I would not be on your feet for very long at all in the first 3 weeks. My pelvic physio said after 3 weeks only 5 mins walk a day adding another 5 mins every week (5 x 2, 5 x 3. etc) I know other people have been given different info but I am following instructions from professional who doesn’t want me to have the surgery yet again.  So please consider that. There is no value in straining healing tissue too soon if you end up having the surgery again.

• Posted

I agree with peta. I did nothing but walks around house first few wks. I was really cautious and will now only do gentle walking and swimming 🏊. Hope that helosx

• Posted

Thanks Peta 

I think it’s about not doing too much too soon. I am worried about doing too much. 

Can I ask about bleeding? Should I be passing clots? When I do does it mean I’m doing too much? 

Your advice is greatfull received xx

• Posted

Thanks for your opinion. Can you help with my reply to Peta? 

Louise x

• Posted

Hi Loulou

I am always happy to share my experiences but when it comes to bleeding normal or otherwise especially clots it is your doctor that would need to know . Don’t mean to alarm you in any way but post surgery all these things are important to report.

Check in and then you have peace of mind Loulou.

• Posted

Passing clots warrants an examination by your consultant..

You will only know then if all okx

• Posted

I am in mid 4th week and I am at the beach. Lol. I had Rectocele repair and a bladder sling. The salt water has helped with the swelling more than anything yet.  I had my post op appt and it went well. I tried clitoral orgasm and it made me swell really bad. I was cleared for intercourse but I highly recommend not doing that at 4 weeks. I know everyone is different but I swell at nothing. I’ve missed my period because I imagine it’s traumatic to the body. I can walk for a little while but then have to stand or sit. Overall I am back to normal but as far as aerobic exercise I wouldn’t do that for at least 8 weeks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.