Recent surgery and stressed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Tore my right Achilles August 16 and had repaired August 22nd. The semi cast is annoying weighs a bunch and not sleeping well at all. My surgeon says 2 weeks don't know if I will make I keep taking splint off wiggling my toes doing leg lifts no moving foot. Am I risking anything here. This is stressful.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Sorry also moving foot.
    • Posted

My recommendation is leave the splint on. I know it's hard- I am 18 weeks post op and having a heck of a time. I also took splint off and it set me back a few weeks in my recovery time. Please do exactly what doctor says so you don't risk any damage being done

• Posted

Very hard when wrapped with ace bandage weighs a ton which is uncomfortable especially when trying to sleep. Since surgery I've not slept more than 4 hours. 

• Posted

Are you in pain at night. Keep on top of taking painkillers, also elevate at night less swelling won't keep you awake. I sleep on my stomach so big chances for me having to sleep on my back with leg up but you'll get there.

• Posted

Hi it's a terrible injury and stressful one at that. I would definitely follow doctors and do not take any risks of removing the splint. Any sudden movement will either re rupture the tendon or over stretch the tendon and you'll be left with it loose.

Im week 5 now and only got the moon boot on at week 4. The way to think of it. With appts every 2 weeks set them as your goals as instead of looking at being off your feet for weeks

• Posted

Much appreciated at night this thing seems like it weighs a ton just when I get to sleep I lose it most of it is anxiety which is a itch to control.
    • Posted

Totally understand the aneixty I think it is something alot of people who are off there feet get. To much time to think while lying around and resting. For the first to weeks I spent my time keeping the elevated so I couldn't notice the weight. As the week went on my leg is getting thinner and muscles loss can make the cast feel heavier. I rented a knee scooter so I'm a little more mobile

• Posted

I feel your pain sweetie, the harder I tried to go to sleep the more annoyed I would get because I couldn't. I just used to cry myself to sleep eventually 😢

I thought I would try listening to music to relax me and that did work some nights. Ask the doctor for something to help you sleep because it's not good not to be able to relax.

We are all here to help you through this stressful time.

I have have my ups and downs and can't thank all the beautiful people on here that help me and hope we can help you too x

• Posted

I think you know by feel if you are doing the wrong thing or pushing yourself to far. I am at the 6 week mark and I didn't have surgery and asked to be put into moonboot straight up instead of cast first.

That has help me mentally a lot as when I did the other leg 5 years ago the cast made me miserable so I knew what I needed to do from the start. It is still the most stressful time even though I have been through it before.

I also took the boot off within the first few days after injury and within 1 to 2 weeks was moving foot and wiggling toes. I started sleeping without boot also after about 2 weeks because I just couldn't get any sleep wearing it.

The best advise is until you feel strong enough wear your splint or boot whenever walking or moving about.

It has been just this last week that I have felt good to wear no boot inside the house just using my crutches for a little balance support.

Good luck with recovery

• Posted

Hi that's quite brave taking off the boot at night after 2 weeks, were you not afriad that you'll injure your achilles or interupt the healing process. I'm about 17days into my injury. Still haven't washed the foot since the day when I was playing football, which I'd loved to because it sticks, but I'm afraid taking it out and wiggling it will hurt the foot. 

• Posted

I took the boot off, got a couple of baby wipes and just gently wiped foot over and then put some baby powder on foot and In between my toes. We I took the boot off was that early was only just to wiggle toes and let it breathe. I did just little movements everyday that were comfortable.

At night when I slept without boot I made a little cave under the blankets with cushions so there was no pressure pushing on my foot at all and wore a ankle type support strap which held my foot tight in position and made it difficult to move to much which really helped.

I just went with if it hurts I wouldn't keep doing it. Every day gets better

• Posted

Did you have surgery? If so how soon did you take foot out?
    • Posted

When you did your leg 5 years ago how long was your recovery. I'm wondering how long it will be before I can drive and return to work. Week 5 tomorrow. I'd surgery

• Posted

Everyone is different, but I did my left leg on the 3rd Nov, had cast for 2 weeks then moonboot with wedges which were phased out like normal. I remember going away after Xmas and hired a wheelchair as I wasn't allowed to walk in it at that stage. When the kids returned to school the last week in January I was still in boot. I believe it took me a good 6 to 12 month to be fully recovered to the point that I didn't feel worried with every movement and was comfortable again.

But this leg has been a lot quicker. I was 6 weeks yesterday and was told at my 4 week ortho check up that boot will come off completely at my 6 week physio app which is this week. Fingers crossed. I am returning to work around 12th September.

• Posted

Totally different both times. This time must feel so much faster recovery. My leg is feeling stronger but would be still worried fwb at this stage.

Hoping I'm my recovery is as fast as yours

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.