Recent surgery people....how are you doing

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I'm now day 11 from a partial knee replacement (patella femoral). I think I'm doing well. The pain is certainly not as bad as I feared it would be. Bend of 90 degrees. Able to do the exercises, but knee is so tight. Have first physio on Tuesday and see consultant on Wednesday to have stitches removed

Still extremely tired all the time.

How is everybody else getting on?

Been thinking of you. X

4 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debs

That is really good a bend of 90 already. Well done. I am 4 weeks and back at work on phased return 3 hrs day (in an office) ; physically I’m shattered but it’s bearable. Mentally it’s doing me the world of good. I come home and have 2 hour siesta every afternoon lol. 

When stitches/staples removed tightness eases a little. I massage E45 cream into my scar and a across my knee 6 to 8 times maybe more dome days. Every time it feels tight; I have found that this really helps. 

Good luck with it. 

• Posted

Hi

Glad you seemed to be doing well. My pain is much better this week compared to last week. I can bend my knee 90 degrees and extend my knee. I use the cpm machine twice a day for 3 hours each and I am suppose to bend  my knee on my own. I can it’s just stiff but guess that’s what all these exercises are for. My doctor took staples out on day 8 post op. I go back Wednesday and am going g to ask when therapy will start because that is a major role in recovery. Sounds like we are both doing well keep up the good work🤗

• Posted

Pretty similar ... will be two weeks post op Tuesday. TKR ..I am managing exercises....sleep not great though...I just nap when I can and because I don't have to get up or work,

I just read or get up and watch Olympics til I get tired and can go back asleep....My knee is really tight...sometimes it throbs a lot too..I'm just iceing elevating resting and doing my physio like i was advised. Staples out Tuesday....then physio Thurs so hopefully my bend will be 90% at least....that ius the most challenging exercise, the heel slide ...

I think we are doing ok! I hope o anyway..

• Posted

Just hit four weeks this past Thursday, unicompartmental PKR.  127 bend (132 passive) and 2 straightening (0 passive).  Swelling/tightness is almost all above the knee - which PT (and others who’ve had replacements) days is normal.   My stitches are internal closure meaning they will dissolve on their own. Incision is looking absolutely great.  I do the Vitamin E massage a few times a day (still not putting directly on incision yet despite it being sealed), ice and elevate after home exercises or being out and about for any length of time.  I’m down to half a pain pill twice a day (total of 5mg oxycodone) with a Tylenol boost if needed...mainly to aid in getting PT done.  Had a fair amount of pain around MCL when first starting PT but that is getting better every session.  Knee definitely gets achy if on it for a length of time but that will just take time as it heals.   I am so glad to be where I am...the first two weeks were brutal physically and emotionally!!
  • Posted

6 days in tkr..still in a lot of pain.. Can't bend too much and can't elevate...is this normal?

• Posted

All pretty normal for 6 days Diane. Just try to do as much as you can when you can. If it's too painful on a day & you don't do the exercises don't worry, you are in a really early stage. If you find it difficult to lift your leg up to elevate wrap it in a towel & lift the towel with you hand onto cushions to elevate. I bought a yoga strap which helped me lift my leg in the early days, it helps now to get more bend when exercising.

You will get there, persistence & patience will pay off.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thank u Marilyn..it is so painful omg! I call my p.t. guy. The mean man. Lol. He is going to bring me an ice pump..I think that will help some
  • Posted

Hi Debs, good to hear how well you're doing. 

I'm doing quite well, now at 8 weeks so things improving. Did a lot Saturday & paid for it in pain until the next day, but ok now.

We went out for a meal Sunday & I didn't take the crutch!! Yay!! It was so good to be able to walk without it! Small achievements really lift you up!!

Good luck with the rest of your rehab, we are all gonna beat this 

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Day 14..staples removed today.....knee feels much the same....may be over the next while it will not feel so TIGHT? I'm managing exercises ok BUT have to brace myself for the dreaded heel slides.....I seem to sleep well when I nap but wake-up a few times at night.first physio app Thurs..how are the other newbies/ kneebies doing??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.