Recent TAR

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been reading these comments and have been struck by the wide variations in treatment and outcomes. I had my operation 5 weeks ago and was told to put my full weight on the ankle from day1. I had a plaster cast for 10 days and have been using a moon boot since - although I take it off at night. For the first 2 weeks in the boot, I used two crutches. I'm now down to one - or none if I'm just hobbling from room to room, but I've had no physio.

Apart from difficulty getting the foot into a comfortable position at night and pins and needles when I don't have it elevated for a while, I've had very little pain and I'm not taking any painkillers. The wounds - one on the front of the foot and one on the instep - seem to have healed well and I'm hoping I can dispense with the moon boot after my appointment next week.

I saw two consultants before the operation. One was clearly of the view I should go for a fusion and warned that a TAR would only last for about 8-10 years (I'm 68). But the other recommended a TAR. She used a new custom made US prosthesis which she thought would last at least 10 years and she said that early indications were that it would last longer. She told me afterwards that the operation had gone well and I'm hopeful for a good result.

I'll post an update when I get rid of the moon boot and start walking unaided.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Frank did you have ligament reconstruction on your ankle may be different surgeons work differently i googled my operation many times before i had it and they all said the same a cast for 6 weeks non weight bearing a boot for 4 weeks and lots of physio which i had i am now fully recovered thank goodness but it was a long struggle to get there all seems like a distant memory now hope you get well soon
    • Posted

The full description of mu procedure was as follows (brace yourself!):-

Total ankle replacement left

Tendo Achilles lengthening percutaneous

Reconstruction lateral collateral ligament complex

Complex proc mid foot/hindfoot with autogenous bone graft.

Well, you did ask!

Thanks for the good wishes.

• Posted

Hi Frank you certainly have been through the mill good luck with everything
  • Posted

I Frank, I am portuguese, I have 54 years old and I had my operation (right ankle) in the past 3/3/2015, was a Salto Tournier TAR, I have my foot in a cast boot from the begineer, one week from the operation I sleep without the boot without any problems and do stretches with a towel in front of the foot  to improve the tendo Achilles because I have a percutaneous lengthening, I am not make full weight but I am very confortable, virtually have no pain.

What is your status now?

Good wishes

• Posted

Daniel: I think I'm doing OK. I had my last appointment with my surgeon last week and she seemed pleased. I have done a couple of 2 mile walks through the woods with my dog and it wasn't too painful - although it does produce swelling. One thing I will mention is that the surgeon did not perform all the procedures I listed previously. Those were the procedures she'd intended to perform before the op but on the day she decided they weren't necessary and she removed some excess bone growth instead which corrected the alignment problem. But I have to see a podiatrist to determine if I need some orthotics (basically a shoe insert I think).

Good luck with your recovery.

Frank

• Posted

Thanks Frank,

Next wednesday I will go to remove the straps from the leg, I thing everything run ok, usually I remove the foot from the walker and do some exercises, I have a subtalar fusion too, my mainly fear is the infection and soft tissue problems, but I have hope that all will be OK.

Good recovery to you too

Regards

Daniel

• Posted

Hi Frank,

I had mine on the 12th Feb 2015 and I have also worried about the lack of post-op care.

The first two weeks were quite painful, but I did expect it to be.

Living alone does make things that much harder (getting from kitchen to lounge with a tray of food when the pain of being vertical is pushing a 7 to 8 is a memory that will stay, especially when the first time it ended on the floor) but the surgery was done well and every day is a little better than the last.

At 4 weeks post op I phoned the orthopedic clinic and was told that physio was not to be attempted for at least 6 weeks post-op.

I am weight bearing (started at about 3 weeks) and can now do 100% but very briefly and with little movement.  Mostly at about 50% and can now walk with one crutch (just about the house).

I have ditched the 'Moon boot' and use an ankle brace when I go out (I was given as an aid about a year pre-op).

As no one took my driving license away, I used my common and started back when weight bearing got to 50%.  

I am 67 and had the ankle trauma 30 years ago.  25 years pain free but laterly the cartilage had worn away and the pain finally caught up with the ever decreasing effect of pain killers (co-codamol 60-1000mg + 60mg dyhydracodeine (4hrly) + 100mg Tramadol 6hrly + Butrans morpheine patches).  Fortunately, little in the way of side effects other than constipation and incredibly, no addiction.....so lucky.  Now I've ditched the Tramadol unless I go out and Butrans to keep for another day.

Anyone wanting to compare notes please contact me.  I'm happy to help with advice if you're considering options.

Hope it's still going well for you,

​Paul

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.