Recent Urolift /MedLift after a failed Rezum

Posted , 9 users are following.

After about 3 months, I just had a Urolift procedure after a failed Rezum which left me worse than when I started. I am 3 days post and had a medial lobe issue that was the primary cause of my problem. I will be taking out the catheter in about 5 days and am hopeful that things will be working. For those of you who have had a similar procedure, I am curious to know what your recovery was like and what I should expect over the next weeks and months.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jeff, It's my understanding from my uro that the Urolift will not work if you have a med lobe. I had the Urolift almost 2 years ago and saw some improvement but not as much as expected. My recovery was that I did not leave the hosp. with a cath and the recovery went well, I was mowing the lawn within a week but the full recovery took about a month or maybe a little longer. Good luck......Billy

• Edited

1. Why did the uro perform this procedure when it is known to be ineffective when a median lobe issue is present?
    2. How many clips?
    3. I did not have to have a foley after the procedure.
    4. I did not have any bleeding or clots after the procedure.
    5. The procedure did not work. It left me worse off. It left me with the sensation of a stuck kidney stone, and 15 months later, that has still not gone away.
    6. My urgency/frequency was not improved.
    7. My flow improved for about 3 months, then diminished back to pre procedure levels.
    8. I don't recommend urolift.
    • Edited

I agree with you as i had it done in august of this past year and had to self cath for 6 weeks until i was able to pee on my own again. As you stated i am back to pre- urolift pee stream and still on the same meds as i was before having it done. Would never recommend urolift!

• Posted

1. There is data for the median lobe that is comparable to the traditional urolift.
      2. 6
      3. I am on a cath for a week. Testing it out on Monday.
      4. Blood the first 2 days, but clear since.
      5. Sorry about that. Hope I am not in for the same. The doc said that he needed to stay clear of the bladder neck or I could develop kidney stones.

He showed me a picture that I am open. Just praying that it stays that way.

Jeff

• Posted

"He showed me a picture that I am open. Just praying that it stays that way."

Can you share with us how the picture was taken? MRI, cystoscope, etc??

Best of luck.

• Posted

Looks like a cystoscope set of pics.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Jeff

• Posted

I have read of so many negative outcomes with urolift procedures that I wonder how much research was done before the procedure was approved. Are most of the negative outcomes related to BPH with median lobe involvement?

• Posted

I did not have any median lobe issues, but urolift still failed.

• Posted

Had a medlift 14 months ago. Effectiveness not what it was at first, but peeing enough that I'm only catheterizing occasionally and PVR around 150-200 ml.

Not ideal but off the meds and no side effects. Plus my bladder was pretty distended, think it works better with a stronger bladder. Hoping the benefits last.

Good luck, not as bad a procedure as some think.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.