Recently diagnosed.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, this is such a good site, so supportive . I was diagnosed with over active thyroid just a month ago. Am on Carbimazole and propanolol. Is it usual to feel ok one day and then a bag of poo the next ?! Its so frustrating not to have the stamina I had before, when I have so much to do. You have all really cheered me up, its so good not to feel alone with this. Many thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bess, Unfortunatley the answer to your question is yes you do have good & bad days It takes up to 6 weeks for the carbimazole to kick in & even then you can be up & down. Sorry im not more positive but, remember everyone is different & some recover more quickly than others unluckily for me im not one of those. lol.This is a good site for support & advice as we all know what each other are going through. Let us know of your progress. Take care. Elaine.
  • Posted

Hello Elaine, Thanks for your reply and the encouragement - it really helps. I have noticed that since I was diagnosed, I have had an increase in migraine aura. I have suffered from this for about 7/8 years, just before I took early retirement from nursing and during a very stressful time in my life. I had had a blissful 5 months without an episode but since having an overactive thyroid have had 3 episodes in the last month. This may just be a cluster (this has happened before) but I am wondering if this could be linked to the thyroid. I certainly have to pace myself now and these episodes seem to occur when I have done too much. I wonder if others have noticed a link between the thyroid and migraine ? I am lucky in that I don't go on to have a headache, unlike some poor sufferers ! I am sorry that you seem to be in for the long haul and hope that you feel very much better soon.
  • Posted

Hi Bess, Like you i just get the aura but, thankfully not the pain & i have only had these since being diagnosed with graves. I think its too much of a coincidence for them not to be linked. I have now gone hypothyroid due to the rai & am waiting to see endo on weds as to where i go from here gp gave me thyroxine but cant take these till i see endo so, am currently on no meds. I have to say that at the moment i feel extremley tired & ache all over i dont really know what is worse hyper or hypo!!!!! I know all the docs say its safer to be under but, they dont know how we feel. How are you feeling? Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine, I have had a good few days, apart from migraine aura yesterday. Today I feel a bit grotty and apprehensive but looking back over the last month, I think progress has been made. I have a blood test on Thursday. Its all so changeable, I know I can't take a few good days for granted. How strange that you also have migraine aura and hyper - yes, too much of a coincidence. It must feel strange being on no meds at all, a bit like being in limbo. So sorry you are achey and tired. Hang on in there, hopefully when you are settled on your thyroxine you will turn the corner and feel better than you have for a long time. My grandaughter had to have her thyroid removed in a hurry as she was so over active, and had a bad reaction to the meds. She now goes ski diving for charity ! She was so very ill at one time. I wonder why surgery isnt done more often, in spite of the usual surgery risk etc. People are asked to struggle on for so long with meds and rai. Good luck with the endo on Wednesday. Hope to hear how you get on.
  • Posted

Hi Bess, Glad to hear you are feeling ok i hope it stays that way for you.I think the reason they dont like to do a throidectomy is cost!!!! its cheaper to give rai as a removal means a stay in hospital. Great that our health all boils down to money.Thats great about your grandaughter but, i wont be skdiving too much of a chicken lol.It does seem strange no meds but, i think that will change tomorrow!!!! then hopefully its the start of getting better. Its amazing that such a tiny organ can cause so much havoc yet, without one well we wouldnt be hear.Thank god for medical science!!!! Well take care. keep in touch.Elaine.
  • Posted

[quote:bb6b2fa58e=\"Bess \"]Its so frustrating not to have the stamina I had before, when I have so much to do.[/quote:bb6b2fa58e]

It may be worth having a good look at \"having so much to do.\" I run my own business and have worked long hours for many years. Its guessed/believed/likely that graves disease/hyperthyroidism is caused by stress/excess. In my experience that makes sense. Though carbimazole has obviously helped to get my readings back to relatively normal, the one thing that helps me more than anything else is taking a nap the moment I feel a bit tired.

• Posted

You are so right about the stress, I am convinced this was the cause of my thyroid flare up, stress impacts of any and every system of the body. I work so hard on keeping calm but sometimes emotions run away with us - we are human after all. Its so annoying to realise that the emotions are still controlling the mind, instead of the other way round ! Having said that, I am the third member of my family to have thyroid problems, so heredity must take part of the blame ! Hope all goes well for you. Bess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.