Recently diagnosed

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with depression. I had an assessment with the crisis team who have refered me to talking therapy. I feel really alone and like I don't understand what I'm going through. Some advise and info would help massively

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I know it can be really hard especially when you are still figuring out what is going on. Did this just start out of nowhere or have you had some problems leading up to this?
    • Posted

Iv had a few bad years and have tried to deal with it the best I can and tried to dismiss depression and just carry on but it gpot worse a few months ago
  • Posted

The Charity MIND ( they have a facebook page ) have booklets on depression , etc which are interesting - you can download them from their Website or order them from their Website , i have found them interesting , informative , if you have a good doctor then chat with him , her , maybe the crisis team might have some leaflets , other people who are in the same position as you - social group , etc , CBT is great for talking through how you are feeling , etc . My local Mental Health team have groups where you can join in for activities , outings , etc maybe yours do to , thinking of you , sorry i cannot be of more help but there are plenty others on here who will be able to advise you , take care xx
    • Posted

No maria thank you that has been so helpful. It means alot to receive any advise xx
    • Posted

Don't be afraid to take on your depression. Don't dismiss it! I think it's a very good idea for you to start therapy smile how are you feeling right now?
    • Posted

Right now I feel like I'm in a dark room no windows no doors and the walls are closing in
    • Posted

Not really no. I don't have family and none of my friends understand and don't want to burden them
    • Posted

You won't be a burden. You will be suprised how many people have experience with depression in some way. How old are you?
    • Posted

My Nephew is 27 and he fully understands my depression as he said he had friends who have it so there are young people who do understand , sadly too many don't tell their friends and just keep it inside , there is a lot of media coverage regarding better help for young people , see if your local mental health centre can give you contact for groups that have young people your age , i do appreciate that each part of the UK has NHS that offer different help , care , have you got a local MIND ot similar like Rethink Mental illness that you can go in to for a chat to see if they have any ideas .
  • Posted

Chelsea,

Thefact you have started some form of treatment and you know that you are suffering from this illness is very positive may not seem like it the space you are in but therapy medication will significantly increase your mood and symptoms of depression plus the longer we are aware of the illness the stronger we become and more resilent you are just in the early stage where it is very scary and you feel helpless and alone this will get better I just know it! Stay strong and hang in there take it day by day dont dwell on negative thoughts make sure you force asmile out every day that helps believe it or not! take care keep us posted on how you are going xx

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words and support means alot. I am really scared and really lost right now xx
    • Posted

The dark place we're in when we are suffering from depression makes it very difficult to think clearly. Depression often makes no sense to us and we feel guilty for feeling down. Some people even consider depressed people to be attention seekers and that makes sufferers feel even worse. Empathy is needed. Please know that you are not alone... You have a real illness at the moment that needs to be treated and there is hope. It's just a matter of finding the right help. There's no quick fix but there is help available so keep asking questions and you'll find plenty of advice. Ignore idiots who are quick to criticise and you might just be surprised to find out where the best advice can come from. It takes strength and courage to ask for help so you're already on the right track. Ask your doctor if you might benefit from starting on some antidepressant medication or whether counselling is worth a try and read a much as you can about depression. You might be surprised at how much some books can help. I do a lot of self analysis and it helps me to understand my situation a bit better. Talking to others who have been through it can help as well. We know how it feels. You will get through this.
    • Posted

Hi Anniedelico,

What a wonderfful way of putting super accurate !! hope you also are feeling good these days it sure is a scary experience but like you say there is hope and finding the treatment that works really takes the pressure of the illness and reduces its symptoms hang in there Chelsea you will be ok sweet get to your doc and get onto whatever treatment they suggest xx

• Posted

Hi Stevo! : )

I have good days, not-so-good days & sometimes a combination of both in a day! Depression, anxiety etc can really overwhelm me at times so I really do feel that sufferers can definitely be of some kind of assistance to those who are experiencing these things for the first time. It's so confusing because a lot of how we feel really makes so sense. Knowing that so many other people are going through similar feelings is helpful, even though it's not a cure! : )

I tend to find that being alone with my thoughts isn't helpful, yet many of us (including myself) just feel like we do want to be left alone! So you see how perplexing the whole situation becomes when we are sometimes unable to get motivated enough to even leave our home for awhile to see other human beings, who may well help to improve our frame of mind on any particular day!

Thank you for your kind words. I felt uplifted when I read your reply. It's actually one of the most wonderful things another sufferer or former sufferer can do... to offer encouragement and to check in with people in an unobtrusive manner. : ) Being thoughtful, that's what it is.

Thank you so much!

I'm also wondering how Chelsea is going. I hope you are doing a little better Chelsea... If you feel up to it, please let us know. : )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.