Recently diagnosed

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. Looking for support and advice if possible. Diagnosed two weeks ago with pernicious anaemia. On week two of having three b12 injections per week. Not feeling any benefits at all. Is this normal? Ridiculously tired, I could honestly sleep standing up! Feel like I am in my own little bubble, things are happening but I seem very uninterested in my surroundings. Just want to start feeling like me again. So worried that I will be like this forever. Any help or ideas are greatly welcomed x

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It does take a while I'm afraid, depending a lot on how long you've been low on B12. Sometimes the symptoms seem to worsen too, but this is part of the healing process. All those nerves that have been struggling to work with very little B12, suddenly go into overdrive once the B12 is available.

Do you know what your levels of ferritin and folate are? Your doctor should have tested these on your last blood test, and you are entitled to ask for a copy of your blood test results. We need both of these to be at a good level too, for the body to use the B12 you are being given. VitD could be low as well, so that might need supplementing.

Once you know you are getting all the vitamins you need, just take things slowly. Exercise needs to be moderate, overdoing things runs our B12 down very quickly.

i find gentle Yoga is best for me, but you will discover what works for you.

It has probably taken a few years for your level to drop far enough that you need treatment. I hope your doctor will be monitoring all your symptoms, and keeping you on enough injections to heal you.

My GP has agreed to me having them six weekly, instead of three monthly, as I used to feel as though I had a run down battery after eight weeks! 

Good luck with feeling well again, it's taken me sometime to feel better, but I do now. 

Best wishes 

Marion 

• Posted

Please take note of everything Marion has said and be assured that there is life after P.A. as after 45 years with it I am still "clivealive" at 75.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.