Recently diagnosed

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

I was just recently diagnosed with prostate cancer.

I feel very confused -sad- and don’t know what to expect...

I would like to hear from individuals going through the same thing.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry about that but the first thing you need to accept is that it is quite common.   Second thing is that most who have prostate cancer live long lives and there is no need to panic. 

‘You need to tell us your age ,your Gleason score , when you were diagnosed , whether you have had an MRI and your PSA.  

Presumably you are seeing a good urologist and treatment appropriate to your circumstances has been suggested 

let’s have more details and then we can help 

cheers Keith 

• Posted

Hi Redskal, I’m so sorry to hear you are having a difficult time right now. I’m sure someone will come along soon and give you the benefit of their experience. My partner has a diagnosis of prostate cancer and I’m just the one in the background trying my best to support, treating him a little bit kinder than I normally do and trying to understand his frustration, fear and anger at times. I hope you have someone close who can give you some tlc. If not... well here is a good place to get reassurance. sending you a huge hug x
  • Posted

I'm almost a year in since prostrate removal, alive and well, things are different but happy to be alive!!!

• Posted

Yes, send more detail about your diagnosis. PSA and Gleason score. That will help determine what action if any needs to be done. There are many options available. The main thing is not to panic. Research your options, but if you provide the numbers given to you by your urologist and/or oncologist, that will help others talk about their experiences - and also what your options are. We have all been in your shoes. So their are many people that can help guide you.

Good luck to you.

• Posted

Sorry to hear but don't worry.  There are procedures that can stop your cancer.  Depending on your insurance, check out all your options/doctors.  My husband had a PSA of 49.0 last year this time.  That is EXTREMELY HIGH!  His local urologist suggested removing the prostate.  The day of his surgery that was supposed to only be 3 hours at most turned out to be 6.  Imagine my worry waiting in the waiting room.  After 6 hours, the urologist came out and told me they could NOT remove the prostate because the cancer had spread to the neck of his bladder.  Even MORE worry for me.  Husband was still knocked out in recovery.  He was a Stage 4 Prostate Cancer victim but we both decided to contact the Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Phoenix.  They have 4 locations around the country but Phoenix was closest to us in Reno.  We went down in June 2017 did all of his tests, paperwork, etc. and in September 2017 he went down there for 9 weeks of radiation treatments.  He finished in November 2017 and we just got his PSA (you have to wait at least 3 months AFTER radiation to test for PSA or inaccurate reading.)  He is now <0.1 and the cancer is in remission!!!  Of course, we still have to monitor him for PSA every 3 months but it was worth it.  He will now also get his tri-monthly Lupron shot which is chemotherapy.  He really has had no side effects from any of it except now with him taking "hormone shots" he sounds/acts like me more & more each day LOL!  With all of the cancer I have experienced over the years in my own family, I am VERY glad we chose to look outside of our local doctors here and have an immense respect for the crew he had in Phoenix.  GOOD LUCK in searching but PLEASE, KEEP searching!  There IS HOPE!  Take care.

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, I know how you feel I was told in Dec 2010 at the age of 64 that I had a very aggressive form of Prostate Cancer, after surgery, radiotherapy and hormone treatment I am still here and expect to be for many years to come.

Keep positive and listen to your doctors and trust their advice.

Good luck. let me know in 8 years time how you are doing.

KenW

• Posted

Hello, 

Try to be calm, this is very treatable. I'm assuming you had a biopsy?  What were your readings?  I highly recommend doing research for the best facilities in your area.  I recommend Dr. Laudone at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC if that's not too far from you.  Best of luck 

• Posted

We need more details: how was he diagnosis made? What is you age, Gleason score, PIRADS score?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.