Recently diagnosed and feeling alone

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, 

I'm a 23 year old female that was recently diagnosed with Barrett's oesophagus. 

I'm so confused as to how I could have this when the usual age frame is 50+? 

The more I read up on it, the more terrified I feel. 

Are there any other young people suffering from this? I feel so alone.

I don't want to take the medication that is prescribed as it'll make me dependent on it but then there's the risk of cancer

Has anyone had any luck reversing their Barrett's? 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

No, my gallbladder was removed about 20 years ago.  
  • Posted

No, my gallbladder was removed about 20 years ago.  
  • Posted

There is the ablation technique already referred to. Also already referred to, is the fact that regular monitoring with endoscopies catch anything sinister at an early, curable stage. Try to take comfort in this. Regular scopes and medication should result in a long and happy life as long as you allow yourself that luxury. I know how difficult it is to not worry but the odds are very heavily in your favour that you will be fine. You are doing everything right, you are on their radar. Try to spend at least half an hour a day breathing slowly and deeply and listening to your favourite music and also do this whenever you feel your anxiety rising. Be happy sweetie...
  • Posted

Currently, Barrett's esophagus can not be reversed. However, less than 2% turns cancerous. Just make sure you get the endoscopy every 3 yrs.

Best of luck.

• Posted

After my cryoablation, my doctor said there is no Barrett's left and the pictures of the area show a nice normal esophagus.  They will monitor we every three months to make sure  it doesn't come back. I was extremely fortunate  to be referred to one of the leading doctors treating Barrett's.  Right now I don't have Barrett's.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.