Recently diagnosed and no relief from nuerontin!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im 27 and was recently diagnosed with tn. After countless trips to the er and dentists I finally found a doctor that didn't think my pain was made up or that I was crazy! Im waiting for my MRI results from Friday to check for any other issues. My doctor started me on nuerontin 300 mg just at night.. I wasn't able to sleep more then an hour or two without waking up in severe pain in my teeth radiating into my ear and face which felt like it was on fire! The meds help me sleep for about 5 hours then I'm up again with the pain.. I had a few pain pills, Vicodin, from a root canal that I take and it seems to help then pain and put me back to sleep.. I don't know how to approach asking my doctor for something for break threw pain without looking like I just want drugs being im so young. Should I increase my dose of nuerontin? I have a high pain tolerance but I can't take it.. I've dealt with this for months and it's driving me crazy!!!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Usually the medics start you off on a relatively small dose and gradually increase it until it is the effective level for you.  The other thing to know is that different drugs work on different people and at different times.  For example, when I was first diagnosed I was given Lyrica which worked well when we'd got to the right dose for me.  Then the tn improved and I managed a couple of months with no medication.  When the tn came back, the Lyrica didn't touch it and I'm now on gabapentin.  I keep to as small a dose as possible but have been up to 5 x 200mg in a day and down to 2 x 200mg a day.  What is also important is to spread the pills equally through the 24 hours so that you have a steady level in your blood.  I use set an alarm on my phone so I don't forget!  Anyway, I assume your doctor said to try that dose for a few days?  If it doesn't settle, then you need to go back and work together to find the right dose of the right drug for you.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks! Yes wanted to just start me on this at night to help sleep until they get my MRI results back and can rule out any other issues.. it helps sleep but makes me crazy dizzy and doesnt manage the pain for more then 5 hours when I'm sleeping.. I'm going to touch base with them tomorrow to see what can be done if I should still keep taking them or if something else will help..

• Posted

Try an orthosontist and have them get you a splint to wear at night while sleeping.  I have a crossbite and the splint has taken care of alot of my pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.