Recently diagnosed and trying to work out triggers

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, recently posted about being newly diagnosed.  Cardio said that my GERD will affect it as will food etc.  Last 2 really big flutters have been when I have had wind am I imagining it or does wind make it worse, felt like a firework was going in my chest, stabbings, fluttering, lurcking sort of feeling and then left with fast heart beat.  The pain is what I hate through the middle and into my left breast area (am female).  I feel drained for a couple of days after.  I only have them occasionally, every couple of weeks or so, but I have been constipated and they have been worse this week.  Does anyone else get worse like this.  Thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello there, yes I definitely find a link with GERD and fluttering even tho my cardio didn't agree.  Also important not to become constipated, I can hear my stomach gurgle followed by a definite palpitation or flutter, or whatever you call it.  It's horrible,  I'm going to try the FODMAP diet which is recommended on this forum, maybe you should look into this too.  It's amazing how many sufferers have GERD on here, are you on omeprazole too?  Sorry you've had to join our club, but you'll find lots of help here with lovely people.  All the best to you.  By the way what meds are you on? 

• Posted

Hi, my cardio told me it was connected when I mentioned it happened after food and whilst sitting quietly at night. I have been taking a lot of codiene for headaches and am now onstipated unfortunately so not helping with my AF.  I am on esomeprazole and have been for 10 years now.  I have GERD/IBS/DIVERTICULAR all connected in some way I think.  I am on blood thinners for a while following a DVT in December.  I hit 55 and every illness imaginable was thrown at me, but I am strong minded and getting on with life.  Having an 18 year old helps.  LOL.
    • Posted

Hi Pauline,  What's does the FODMAP diet consist of? As there are certain foods I have to avoid because of the Warfarin tabs. x

• Posted

Hi Penny, I'm a newbie to FODMAP, if you can look at Sandi's reply to me on here, I'm picking up loads of tips on this forum, and researching Google.  Really interesting stuff and seems to work for lots of us who have GERD.  I'm on anti coags too.  Mainly wheat is bad for you but surprisingly lots of other stuff like dried fruit which I used to eat a lot of.  Have a research Penny and all the best X 

• Posted

yes most of us find a connection between acid reflux and certain foods that trigger the AF trouble is our gastric system runs right from our throats through to the other end so constipation and things like IBS will probably affect some people.I agree with Pauline the people on this forum are lovely and so helpful, especially when you are having a bad day and just what some reassurance because your mind has gone into overdrive and frightened the life out of you.

Take care L.

• Posted

Hi, since seeing Cardio and him confirming it was AF, and connected to acid and food, when it happens it is a lot easier to deal with, although still freaks me when it is bad like today, just seemed funny last couple of times especially as I am constipated the wind seemed to bring it on.  I also have IBS so all connected in some way.  Thanks T
  • Posted

Hi,  Have you ever been diagnosed with IBS or Coeliac Disease?  I ask because since I started eating wheat and dairy free foods my symptoms have improved quite a lot.  I was diagnosed with AFib back in 2011 and was also, told that I have a Hiatus Hernia which in my case can move up and down and touch the heart which is what set my episodes off.  I used to take Sotalol for SVT but, those tabs wasn't helping the AFib so, the cardiologist prescribed me Bisoprolol which got slowly increased to 10mg. ( Touch wood )  things are still alright and have been for quite some time now. So, don't give up hope x

• Posted

Hi Lucky, yes unfortunately I have the lot IBS/GER/DIVI so my stomach area is always doing something horrible.   No hernia as that was checked 6 months ago.  Take care
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that you have so many unpleasant things to deal with, but as far as constipation is concerned, do you drink enough water because that's what helps me.

• Posted

Hi Gwen, I have been taking codiene which is what has caused my constipation, I did not know they did that so will just take paracetamol if they need them.  I love water so do drink lots, which has also helped. Take care
  • Posted

My sympathy! Those lurchings and bangings of the heart combined with tachycardia are horrid. Its normal to feel tired after a violent episode, does depend how long it lasts of course and feel a sore chest. Have you tried flecainide? Worked for me for many years. That and putting myself to bed for a sleep. Worked more often than not.  
    • Posted

Hi, yes they do freak me when they are happening, but knowing what it is helps a bit and that my symptoms are the same as other people as well.  I do have propanalol which I take when desperate, my GP gave me those which did not make my cardio happy as he said I did not need them, easier said when it is not you that is going through it.  Take care
    • Posted

So what did the cardio prescribe? Anything? Should at least be on an anticoagulant depending on how long the episodes are 20mins 2/4 hours or days?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.