Recently diagnosed Chiari 2 malformation and syringomyelia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, for the past nine months I have been experiencing pain in the right side of my body. It gets worse on exertion, particularly when running, jumping, exercising etc.  I also get tingling, numbness and pins and needles down my right arm, although it is occasionally in my left arm as well.  My symptoms started one morning when i had a cough and experienced severe chest pain and arm numbness to the point i thought I was having a heart attack.  I still get chest pain when i cough or sneeze. I was admitted to hospital earlier this year with my symptoms, had various scans and blood tests done which all came back normal and the Drs thought I was having muscular pain.  Fortunately a few weeks later I had a follow up with my consultant who examined me and suggested i have an MRI scan of my spine, as he pressed along my spine and certain parts felt quite tender.  The MRI scan shows I have syringomyelia.  I then had to have an MRI scan of my brain and another full spinal MRI with contrast, the brain MRI shows I have Chiari 2 malformation.  I am due to see a neurosurgeon next week.  Obviously this has all come as a big shock, I am a young woman who is due to get married next year and I am worried that this is going to affect my wedding.  What other kind of symptoms do people experience? I have suffered with headaches for a long time and just put it down to maybe not drinking enough fluids, and I have always experienced discomfort in my neck when sleeping on two pillows so I only sleep on one, I never thought anything of it until now.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I'm also a young girl (20) who just had surgery for my chiari 1.  Handle it now so you can be ok before your wedding; just do it.  I put a hault on my life too.  Was taken out of school and work and can't do fun things right now sad.... but just do it.  I'm 8 days post-op.  But it's done.  You can do it.  Fix it while you are young! 

• Posted

Hi there, listen to cheyenne, do the opt. A S A P..do not leave it to late or you are going to damage your nerve, get it done urgently..that is my opinion..dont even think of not having it done

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.