Recently diagnosed. Lifestyle change advice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I'm hoping for a little advice. I'm 28 and have just been diagnosed with PCOS. My doctor said it's likely it developed when I was in my late teens early 20s but as I've been on the pill for about 10 years I hadn't noticed the symptoms. 

Last year I came off the pill with the hope of starting a family but my periods were getting further and further apart. My last period was about 26 weeks ago. 

After having tests the doctor confirmed that I have PCOS.

I'm not overweight (I'm only 8stone 8 pounds - 5ft. Although I have put on a little weight around the stomach since coming off the pill) and my doctor suggested we try to conceive naturally for a year then come back next year to try other methods. I wasn't given much advice for what I could do to help apart from healthy diet and exercise.

I don't want to just leave it and hope for the best but I'm not really sure where to start, especially with changing the foods I eat. Any healthy changes I can make to my lifestyle to help my chances of improving my PCOS I am willing to take!

So I'm wondering where to start? What foods are best to be avoided and are there any diets that you would recommend? I've seen that some people take vitamin supplements. Is there any I should be considering?

I have starting exercising more with a light workout in my morning and my exercise bike in the evening. Although I am going to start trying to walk more as well.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Well I was given low GI diet sheet when I saw my PCOS nurse. I was also told if you want to have a baby, your likelihood of having a miscarriage is very high and to prevent that, they advise you to go on Metformin. I don’t know if this is something you were advised to do, but it maybe something you might want to look into. Have you had an insulin resistance blood test?
    • Posted

Hello, my doctor didn't advise anything like that. When I first went for blood tests my results came back normal. They confirmed my PCOS after an ultrasound. My doctor is sending my to have more blood tests but she didn't say what they were testing for exactly. Just to check my hormone levels again. I have to go pick up the form tomorrow that I'll take with me when I have my blood test so that should tell me what I'm being tested for.

• Posted

Hi, 

Follow a low GI diet and ask your gp to give you metaformin 500mg 3 times a day. Both helps with the symptoms. Good luck on your journey 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.