Recently diagnosed LP

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all I've just found your forum phew! I was diagnosed with Oral Lichen Planus last week and was told to find a group by Dr as

there wasn't a cure. After reading your discussions I

have believe the other health problems I have may be linked and not just "my age" I'm 58. I was especially interested to read that

abnormal smears feature. I was treated for precancerous cell

around 15 years ago. So now I've just to work out which foods I

can no longer indugle in.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have a hunch cheese, yoghurt , tomatoes , cherries and some chocolate is best avoided. 
    • Posted

M mm I eat yoghurt & tomates daily basis cheese on toast my go to light supper well looks as though I'll be shifting those last pounds!
  • Posted

Annie, I tend to eat what is healthy, and what I like, and only when I have a flare up do I cut back on certain foods.
  • Posted

It really is trial and error. Sometimes you can eat and enjoy someone and the next day realise it has affected the OLP. My best advice is to clean your teeth with Sqigle toothpaste from The mouth ulcer shop online. The only one that doesn't burn your mouth. 
  • Posted

Hi Annie

I'm 57 and like you had precancer cells about 15 years ago, I was diagnosed by my dentist with the whitish patches inside my mouth around the same time but didn't realise I had LP then it is really these last couple of years it troubles me, can't eat anything spicy or anything full of sugar also dairy even a glass of wine sometimes, it is a bit trial and error also I have itchiness that drives me mad on my arms and scalp I got some shampoo from the doctor and sweating to, good to speak to you Annie xx

• Posted

The biggest triggers for me are alcohol of any type, vegetables from the nightshade family (tomatoes, peppers, potatoes (except sweet potatoes), & eggplant), too much sugar (I can tolerate a little)....just can't go overboard.  The jury is out yet on grains and dairy for me.  I seem to be able to tolerate some of both...but many say to only indulge in non-gluten grains...and they avoid flares.
    • Posted

Renee that's my food gone although I try and stay of wheat if I it's avoidable just as well I love chicken & fish I don't suppose I can keep my tartare sauce. On a serious note. Do you know if any research is being done on the possible connection

between LP and pre cancerous conditions (

• Posted

I find that I can eat good quality meats, fish and poultry without issue. Just have to watch what I put on it. The tartar sauce may be fine...I seem to be able to eat it...but make my own. Mayo, pickle relish and some onion...powdered or finely chopped.

I did not have any pre-cancerous condition...although some on here believe there may be a connection with abnormal smears and developing LP, oral LP or lichen sclerosis.  I've not looked into if there is any research going on.  It's somewhat rare...although being on these forums you certainly wouldn't think so.  I would be more likely to believe there is some connection in all the chemical additives in our foods may have some impact on developing this disease.

• Posted

Hi just wanted to answer you ,,I don't think it's anything to do with cancer cells ,,,it would not affect you 15yrs on olp & skin Lp comes on so quick iv had it for years also my sister has it ,the profeser who I was seeing had delt with it for years ,he blamed the medication I was on anti inflamertry tabs that I was on ,,,but to be honest ,they don't know much about it ,me I think it's a lot to do with nerves ,if I get stressed ,it is worse ,iv got it in the mouth and skin ,at the mo men it's on palm of my hands an feet an mouth ,but you have to get on with it ,more you worry worse it gets ,,,,,
    • Posted

Hi Elaine thanks for the input, I tend to be a bit on the "sensitive "

side and get easily stressed. I'm on a few different for types of medication for preexisting conditions unrelated to stress.so it's

definitely something to consider. Thanks again Annie

• Posted

Hi Elaine

I have had abnormal cells which is caused by a virus a virus doesn't go away and does take years to become cancerous it causes cells to change in different parts of the body

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.