recently diagnosed overactive....help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello i was just diagnosed on Monday with a overactive thyroid I basically had every symptom going. I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow and was just wondering if anybody could help me with some questions to ask. I was basically told I had this and given a print off about it and left to my own devices not even knowing what this was before now. I've been put on propranolol until I see her tomorrow and have been off work now for two weeks. I'm so tired all the time doing little things e.g. Going to the shop then falling asleep for a few hours. Any advice would be great thankyou 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm a newby too, and struggling to be honest. I've just been signed off for a week so hooefully I'lI be able to relax and come to terms with the treatment. Good luck Stephy. I've been advised to read as much about it as I can. So I'm reading loads.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Xx

• Posted

Thanks Diane. It's all abit scary isn't it all this technical talk just goes right over my head. Yeah enjoy your week off and just research that's all I'm doing. Hope your feeling back to yourself soon xx
  • Posted

When I was initially diagnosed and treated, I was put on 10 mg daily of Methimazole (Carbimazole in England) and my Free T3 and Free T4 immediately dropped to within the upper normal range. However, my Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) remained at 0 for 2 years despite being on the meds.  My eyes were always dry and irritated and I always had to use drops.  Finally my ophthalmologist put collagen plugs in my tear ducts to keep more moisture in my eyes.  So most of my symptoms normalized like the excessive heart rate (resting heart rate was 130 at diagnosis) but I still did not feel right.  Then I saw a research article about the use of L-Carnitine in hyperthyroid patients and tried it.  I felt better and my TSH rose to 0.05 (still below normal but heading in the right direction).  Then I found out I was vitamin D deficient, also confirmed I had been carnitine-deficient so I added Vitamin D as well.  I then experimented with different carnitines and tried Acetyl-L-Carnitine and my TSH quickly shot up to the normal range.  I really felt a whole lot better.  My doctor made adjustments in my medication, lowering it and I made adjustments in my Acetyl dose as my results improved.  Have added a few more supplements to combat inflammation like curcumin, fish oil, and others.  So currently I am on only 2.5 mg of methimazole and all values are normal and all my antibodies have normalized.  Unfortunately the doctors know nothing about the supplements unless you go to a Naturopath so they will not endorse them.  What I and other patients have learned is to always get and keep a paper copy of your lab test results so you can see the trend in them, read and research all you can about the disease.  There are other patient boards so find one you like and join it and always ask questions.  Know your body and trust it.
    • Posted

thankyou Linda it's all a lot to take in for a newbie but I'm hoping I will know more after seeing the doctor tomorrow x
  • Posted

Have you had the test wherby you swallow a radioactve solution to test your thyroid?

I am on levithyroxine and have been for many years. Always ask questions about your condition

• Posted

Hi there Stephanie

I had an overactive thyroid which now has been removed. Things are better than they were

As to questions for your doc.

what happens next

How quickly will I see the consultant

what do all the  blood results mean

can I affect my results by changing my diet? I went on a high protein low carb and felt in more control...even if it didnt makemuch difference to my blood resuts. I felt I was doing something.

I found the pharmisist very helpful in telling you when to take your meds and any possible common side effects. 

Your current medication will help to curb the symptoms if they dont go back.

You should have a scan  to determine the health of your thyroid ie. if it can be managed by meds or thyroidectomy is the option.

good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.