Recently Diagnosed trigeminal neuralgia, advise/tips! Help Please

Posted , 17 users are following.

I am 26 years old and was just diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia. I have never followed or participated in a blog before so I am hoping I am doing this correctly. I just really need help, tips or anything at this time would be very helpful and much appreciated.

I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia a few weeks ago. To keep it short, I had horrific (the most unbearable pain) I have ever felt on the right side of my face. I thought it was a cavity and after Xrays and exams I was referred to a Neurologist where I was diagnosed with TN.

I am having a very hard time comprehending how/ why I got this and although my family is supportive I feel no one understands what I’m going through and how horrible the pain can be.

One of my concerns is now the right side of my neck, back and arm are stiff on in addition to right side of my face having TN. The neurologist said it’s just my nerves acting up and there is nothing they can do. I really can’t live like this and was just curious if anyone else has had the back and neck pain on one half of their body and does anyone know the likelihood everything will just go away? Thank you for your help in advance.

Michele

7 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I developed TN in 2009 after a severe case of shingles  (on the left side of my face) and post-herpetic neuralgia.  I dealt with frequent attacks until I saw a neurologist in 2011 and she prescribed Lyrica.  If I had an attack while driving, I'd have to pull over until it passed (20 - 30 min) and the attacks always hit "out of the blue."  Since 2011 I've forgotten to take my Lyrica dose 4 or 5 times.  In each case, I had an attack.  One time i thought i had something in my eye.  Another time I thought I had an ear infection.  And other times I just felt like my face was falling off.

Lyrica has worked very well for me.  I still get some facial pain from time to time and some headaches, but it keeps me from missing work and makes me a safe driver.  A higher dose might eliminate all pain, but I don't want to become immune to the drug.

My PCP has suggested I try medical cannibis for the condition, but I've not quite made that decision.  

Without Lyrica, I wanted to die.  A few years ago my health insurance stopped paying very much for the medicine, so now it costs me nearly $200 per month US.  I tried gabapentin, a much less expensive option, but I could not tolerate it. Some people use it with great success.

Two years ago I had "frozen shoulder", on the smae side as my TN and I don't know if there was any connection to TN, though.

I also take an antidepressant and an antianxiety medicine. 

you are right when you say the pain is horrific and unbearable.  Go from from doctor to doctor if you have to in order to find someone who knows all the treatment options for TN.  I was lucky that the first neurologist I saw put a bottle of Lyrica in my hand on the first visit and said, "Go home and take this today.  Do not drive a car until you know how it affects you."  And then she worked with me to find the best dose. I started out with only 50mg and in later years moved up to 75 mg.  I feel like it's time for a bigger dose, but may try the medical cannibis to see if it will keep me from having to increase the Lyrica dose.  I am 50, and hopefully will need treatment for many years to come.

• Posted

I was recently diagnosed as well and was given an antinspazmotic, it before I took it I wanted to try something else.  You see my mon had it for years and finally had to have the operation.  So know medicine isn't a solution. I take a coenzyme But vitamin from Hole foods for diabetic neuropathy.  It started to work right away..hope it helps you.  I took two initially , now down to one.

• Posted

Dear Michele, Tha best advice I can give is to join the FPA (facial pain association). I recently rejoined and was sent a pack  which includes a periodical mag containing all the lastest news and research, together with many leaflets (one even to give your dentist). You'll be sent the mag periodically. It has everything a patient needs to know. I've had T.N for many years and having rejoined the assciation have also found support from the experts. Through the mag I'm taking part in new research being undertaken by my local university so do give the organisation a check.. Love to you, Gill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.