Recently diagnosed with Blepharitis, couple of Qs

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been suffering from dry eyes for a while, especially when I get tired, but a few weeks back I started getting swelling around my left eye. It was also slightly closed. 

I got referred to the eye clinic where they diagnosed blepharitis (they'd not noticed it on several previous visits to have my eyes checked for possible glaucoma - luckily I don't have that). I was given a leaflet on cleaning my eyes and asked to come back in April. 

This week I am doing my first set of nights since it flared up and, despite cleaning every few hours, my eye feels permanently "gritty" and blurry. I can get temporary relief by using eye drops but it comes back.

Is it normal/usual for it to get worse when tired ?

Also my eye is quite bloodshot, could that be a result of cleaning my eyes a bit too vigorously or could it be something more sinister ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Me and my daughter have suffered a lot. The blood shot eyes is because they are dry. The veins show up when they need more oxygen.

We use Blephasol solution from boots and find staying hydrated and good sleep helps, as well as eating things with oil in.

It’s a horrible thing, we find flannels help too x

• Posted

This is one of those complaints that can be mild to very debilitating and once you have got it, its really up to you to try anything and everything until you find what works for you. Dena and Hol have given you ideas of what they find helpful,which are worth trying. I wonder what you are cleaning your eyelids with? Baby shampoo?   Sufferers often start on this regime and then find its too drying,so Manuka Honey and Blephasol are good alternatives and not so drying.

I have had this problem for over 10 years and have tried most things.  Try using a gel instead of drops in your eyes. Viscotears is good. Also Carmize 1% drops are better than Hypromellose. Make sure you put a large dollop of gel in your eyes before you sleep.   I also make sure I wear close fitting sunglasses outside. Dont drive with the aircon going and keep the car windows shut. Any sort of breeze will dry the eyes out.  Try to limit your screen time. You may be forgetting to blink and this causes the eyes to dry out as well.

Are you working at night? 

Bloodshot eyes are usually eyes that are drying out but if not treated can become infected.  

• Posted

Yes, I am working nights this week, 10 and 12 hour shifts. All the time is spent staring at the screen. 

In fact after just an hour I can feel a slight itchiness; it's felt ok since I got up at 4pm. 

Maybe I should knock work on the head :-D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.