Recently diagnosed with diverticular disease

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all - I have suffered for years and years with my bowels - a recent colonoscopy revealed DD. My consultant wasn't concerned - she has put me on fibregel- this has vastly improved my frequency and urgency going to the loo. I am also having physio and have been referred for acupuncture! My question is how do I know if I'm having an attack of DD or just a tummy bug? In Jan this year I was literally bed bound for a week- my gp put this down to gastric flu and didn't prescribe any medication. This week I am on day 4 of stomach cramps, low appetite and frequent toilet visits - I'm not bed bound but feel pretty rubbish! Taking Imodium, IBS relief tablets,and fibregel! - When do you need antibiotics? Cheers for reading my long post! Caz x

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caroline

Usual symptoms of an attack of diverticulitis include fever, chills, bloating, wind, swamping pains like birth pains, tummy tender to firm touch with "hot spots" (usually lower left side but could be anywhere), dull ache, pain when bending, stretching or lifting, generally feeling unwell, the runs, constipation.  Not all of these at once but some combination.  I'm usually diagnosed when my doctor firmly palpates my tummy, then has to scrape me off the ceiling, with the comment "oh, I see that's tender"!!!  But if the pain gets worse, not better, then you definitely need to see the GP. 

The nearest corollory I can draw is the difference between acute and grumbling appendicitis.  Acute needs surgery, grumbling needs watching.  Fybogel has a laxative effect, and Immodium the opposite, so the two taken at the same time will be fighting with each other.  When I get pain, I take Paracetemol and monitor carefully.  I suggest you read the article on this page under Related Information about Diverticula, Diverticulosis, Diverticulitis and Diverticular Disease as it explains the meaning of all 4, and what to look for.  Best wishes

• Posted

Thanks for your reply - it was my consultant that advised to take both meds together - I'm taking fibregel to bulk me up not for constipation - I often have to take Imodium to enable me to get to work! I am constantly freezing! But don't have temp and my pains are middle abdomen - get loads of bloating/wind issues most of the time x

• Posted

My consultant told me to cut back on not the fyber to help with diarrhoea he also said for me to take half a Imodium because a full one constipates me
    • Posted

Hi Caroline

I'm guessing the colonoscopy showed you had diverticula present - like more than half the people over 50 in the UK!!!  Most get no symptoms!  From what you are saying I'm guessing no infection as you don't have a temperature, so it's not full blown diverticulitis.  But you clearly have some tummy troubles that hopefully will clear up without the need for antibiotics.  Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

That's what I do Susan ,my GP recommends the Fybogel to bulk my stool and the Imodium to slow my bowel as I suffer terrible with diahreea on a daily basis and this combination helps me tremendously,I'm still waiting for my 2nd colonoscopy which I'm not looking forward to as it took me a week to get over it last time.

• Posted

I just spoke to consultants secretary who said it could be a few weeks before I have my sigmoidoscopy so to phone dr for bloods next week. I paid for visit to consultant if I was to have it done private I would end up paying about 800pounds that's after insurance paying the bulk So I have said I will go to the NHS Why are you having another colonoscopy? Is it a routine one ? X

• Posted

I had one originally in 2014 which was how I was diagnosed with having DD after having diahreea on and off for a few months ,I then managed it quite well for about 16 months but since then I've had the runs on and off again and is only helped with taking the Imodium type medication,my GP as since said he would refer me to see a Gastroenterologist but they would need an up date colonoscopy so I'm now waiting .Im not looking forward as it took me about a week to get over it  last time,it's the prep I hate.

• Posted

The prep is the worst part I had sedation when I had mine so it wasn't to bad I hope you hear soon x

• Posted

Severe cramps, low back pain and usually localized left or right side pain. Just an all over not feel good. I use heat on my abdomen which helps, take IBS spasm telief(prescription). If I don't feel it helps I know I need an antibiotic. Some are feverish. Also I stay on liquid diet. Maybe a little noodles is soup. No coffee for sure but tea is a plus. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.