Recently Diagnosed with GERD/Laryngopharyngeal Reflux, What Shoul I do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone

I am recently diagnosed with GERD/Laryngopharyngeal Reflux due to my symptoms. I have soar throat, belching, and difficulty in swallowing. I literally feel food going through me esophagus. If I eat something oily or fried I feel food stuck in my throat. I constantly feel some sort of pressure or inflammation in lower part of my throat which when I burp reduces mildly. I feel abdomen gas too. I am on dexlansoprazole 60mg PPI from last week. Please tell me how long it takes for my symptoms to completely go off?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am fighting this for 8 months. No results for me.

• Posted

try the acid watcher's diet. there are a couple of FACEBOOK pages. ACID WATCHERS DIET support and LPR. They are a great help. Use search option for recipies your symptoms

• Posted

Whatever you do, don't do the Nissen Fundoplication. This surgery should be banned. I had it done in December 2018 and it changed my life until last week when I had it reversed. I could not eat, nauseated 24/7, threw up in my sleep. I felt like I would go to sleep and never wake up. I'm sure my physician was incompetent and wrapped me so tight my esophagus was smaller than a straw. I just had it revered last week and I feel like my life will be back on track. I went to the Mayo clinic though.

• Posted

I had the fundoplication 2.5 yes ago. Fixed the heartburn but it doesn't fix LPR. Had issues eating carbs this yr had gastric emptying test done, Found that stomach emptying sliwly. Now on Motilium, this has helped a lot.

• Posted

Thank you for your comments. how is gastric emptying test is done?

• Posted

you drink a solution and eat a sandwich, then scan to see how quickly/slowly the food moves thru digestion system. Before the test and going on to Motilium anytime I ate carbs, they just sat in my stomach, was n't interested in food. Lost 6kg. Now eating carbs, putting the weight back on. But still need to be careful what I eat. Try keeping to the Acid Watcher Diet

• Posted

Is there any cure for delayed gastric emptying or do you have to take drugs for the rest of life?

• Posted

The secret is not being on meds until the problem goes away. Instead you MUST modify your diet:

NO or little:

Fatty foods

Oily foods

Citrus

Chocolates

Alcohol

Garlic

Vinegar

and many others.

Also find out exactly when you're to take the PPI. My woefully inexperienced doctor, who I no longer see as I moved to a more experienced one, NEVER told me when to take the meds and for 18 mths I discovered I was taking them at the wrong time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.