Recently diagnosed with Gilbert's Syndrome

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi 

I am 46 and just been diagnosed with Gilbert's syndrome due to bilirubin levels in blood being high on last few blood tests.

I have had my gall bladder removed 20 years ago.

The doctor told me that it is purely hereditary but no one else in my family has been diagnosed. She also said she doubts my abdominal pain is GS but have seen this is one of symptoms. Also been told no treatment and GS does usually cause people trouble, so why do I feel like this.

I have had pain over last 6 month under right ribs on and off but last 4 weeks been bad. I am awaiting a scan on my liver to check nothing else going on.

Symptoms I have had is severe abdominal pain under right rib.

Feel extremely tired and weary.

Lack of concentration blank feeling.

Itchy skin usually arms face and occasionally legs.

General unwell feeling but nothing can pin point.

Always had bowel problems from constipation one day to soft and keep going another.

Last few weeks also acid feeling in chest.

Is this normal and how often will I feel like this, is there any advice how to deal with Gilbert's syndrome as is there any treatment out there.

Many thanks.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This is how I have been feeling. Having dizzy spells for nearly a year coming and going. Feeling nauseous, and sometimes after eating I feel a burning in my chest. It has really got me down at times. My doctor said it’s likely I have Gilbert’s syndrome. I was told a couple of years ago now. No help from them though. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.