Recently diagnosed with H.Plyori

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I've had symptoms of acid reflux for the past 3 weeks. I had heartburn, bloatedness, phlegm in the back of my throat, and neck tightness. My doctor prescribed me pantoprazole for 2-3 weeks, but only some of my symptoms went away. Recently, I got new symptoms such as stomach pain, trouble breathing, and constipation and diarrhea. My doctor called me today and told me I have H. Plyori from the blood test I got. Now he going to prescribe me antibiotics. I have a couple questions.. do they actually work? Can it actually be cured? How long do they take to work? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi lewis01951

Good that you have a diagnosis before HPylori caused ulcers.

HPylori is a tiny bacteria that lives in stomach lining and duodenum...it has a sprial shaped flagella and can burrow and hide. Antibiotics can eradicate HP but on occasion some HP are left behind. This is why you should have regular checks after taking the antibiotics. After having the treatment your stomach will take some time to return to a semblance of normality depending on how long you had HP which can damage the stomach lining. Your doc will probably give you medication to take after the treatment with AB's normally PPI's........hope this helps...best wishes..

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. It greatly helped! What are ABs? I'm terribly missing junk food.. Will I have to remain on a strict diet after the treatment? I'm current ly on a low acid bland diet.
    • Posted

Hi lewis01951

AB's is an abbreviation for antibiotics. Yes a bland diet is very important no spicey foods, no fizzy drinks, no citrus, no milk there are other milks you can take such as soya no fried foods. Lots of healthy foods including probiotic plain yogurt that contain good bacterial cultures or probiotic tabs from health shop......You have to be kind to your tum in order for your tum to heal.....best wishes....

• Posted

Thank you I really appreciate your replies! I am currently eating lactose and fat free greek yogurt. I just took my first dose today, but I'm kind of scared of getting side effects that I heard about over different forums. Is it common to get nausea when taking antibiotics?? Also my doctor told me it feels worse at first but gets better later when taking antibiotics. Is that true?
    • Posted

Hi lewis01951

Yes AB's can upset your tum and make you feel a bit nauseus initially but think on the lines that they are going to make you well and its only temporary , 'pain before the gain' so to speak. Having said that you may not feel nauseus at all. Hope all goes well.....best wishes....

• Posted

Haha that is true. I hope the treatment actually works though.. I am reading people's posts online and haven't really found anyone saying that they were completely cured from the treatment..
  • Posted

Hi just like you I was having lots of similar symptoms. I has a EGD two weeks ago and the h pylori came back positive to my surprise. This is the first time I got it. I had the antibiotics last week and felt nausea, skin rash, diahrrea etc but I knew I had to take them all so I did. I also have gastritis and even now after treatment with antibiotics I feel nauseated and stomach pain. It takes time to heal from the damage the bacteria caused. My GP said not to follow up, but I want to know if I can do some test to test eradication of the bacteria. 

Unfortunately we can catch again until they come up with a vaccine that from what I read is in 10 years from now. What a shame they can't have it now.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Leni75. Sorry you are going through such pain. My doctor told me it takes a month to get better after antibiotic treatment. Hopefully we will eventually get better..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.