recently diagnosed with Hashimotos.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was hoping to talk to someone else with Hashimoto's. The diagnosis was kind of a shock. I'm 20 years old and only found out about because I hadn't had my thyroid levels tested for a long time.  I haven't had any symptoms of it yet, I don't think. does the medication completely help get rid of the symptoms? I've been researching diets, do they help with the symptoms? any other advice you have will be greatly appreciated too.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

MY daughter was diagnosed with same condition at age 13. She is now 33 and doing fine with meds and diet. Once they get readings and then game plan I think you will be ok
  • Posted

Were you also diagnosed with hypothyroidism?  If so, what is your TSH result?  Some people can have Hashimoto's, but never develop hypothyroidism.  If you were diagnosed with hypothyroidism also, which is caused by Hashimoto's after many years, then you will need medication to keep your TSH levels at around 1.00 to 2.00.   I am on Levothyroxine myself and I'm doing great.  I feel good..  though it took about a year to start feeling like myself again.  It works, but it is a slow process.  Now, as for the Hashimoto's.. doctors do not treat Hashimoto's with medication as they would with other autoimmune diseases.  The reasoning for this, is because the medication has many side effects, which can be worse than the symptoms Hashimoto causes on it's own.  Most doctors will actually tell you that Hashimoto's does not cause any symptoms at all.  There are some things that people say you can do to help slow down the attack on the thyroid, such as, stopping gluten, eating healthy, excersice, staying away from chemicals, such as cleaning chemicals and even things like roundup, or other herbicides and even pesticides.  Once your body has identified an organ as an "intruder", it produces anti-bodies that will always remain in the body no matter what you do, but slowing it down may be possible, but not proven.  Some say a selenium supplement can lower the antibody levels, which I believe was actually researched.  You could always try a low dose and it might help.

• Posted

Yes, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism first and then antibodies were found in my blood, which lead to the hashimotos diagnosis. I can’t remember the exact TSH levels but my doctor said they were just above the normal randge. Do you have hypothyroidism with Hashimotos? 
    • Posted

Yes.. I have hypothyroidism caused by Hashimoto's.  My endocrinologist said that you should dose your medication to keep your TSH level in between 1.00 to 2.00 in order to feel your best.  This has worked great for me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.