Recently Diagnosed with Lichen Planopilaris (scalp)

Posted , 71 users are following.

Hello all.  I'm a 30 year old male hoping to gain some valuable knowledge and insight from this community, as it's been a major struggle dealing with this disorder.

I've been fighting with the following symptons on my scalp for ~2 years now: red, inflammed skin, no flakes or scales, mild itching but nothing terrible, and noticeable hairloss in the affected areas. The areas affected are my frontal third, two thirds, crown and also my right side above my ear. There are still areas of my scalp that are unaffected and retain a proper neutral color. I previoulsy have never had this issue on my scalp before and there are no signs of it anywhere else on my body. 

After visiting 3 different dermatologist, I finally had a scalp biopsy performed.  The results were that I had lichen planopilaris of the scalp. My previous two dermatologist were treating it as possibly seborrheic dermatitis.  I never quire agreed with this though as I did not have the typical signs of SD: dandruff, flakes, scale, etc--just persistent redness and inflammation.  Even so, I tried every known dandruff shampoo and active ingredient available on the market to no avail. In fact, these generally just exacerbated the condition.

So far I'm been put on the following meds:

--Minocycline (bacterial)

--Clobetasol (corticosteroid)

--Fluconazole (Fungal)

--and my most recent derm wants me to start on immunusuppresants CellCept and Plaquenil

In terms of natural remedies, I've tried applying pure aloe veral gel, coconut oil, avocado oil, apple cidar vinegar...None of these really have done anything for me, sadly.

The Clobetasol topical liquid does midly help.  It seems to improve the areas least affected and brings my skin tone back to almost normalcy, but has little affect on the more pronounced zones. I also have reservations on being stuck using a steroid for my entire life for two reasons: 1. it's detrimental to the skin (thinning). 2. It's not treating the cause but seemingly only the symptom.

As of right now, I'm working on making some dietary changes (no dairy) and more of a "paleo diet" regemin. 

I have not yet tried the immunos as I've very hesitant to go down that route. My current derm states I need a baseline eye exam before starting up on these drugs.  Quite intimidating.  

I've heard a number of people report very good progress from holistic methods, such as Oriental medicine coupled with acupunture.  Wondering if anyone can comment on this?

I'm very much so at an impasse with this skin disorder. It has come out of nowhere and totally taken control of my scalp's health, and, well, my entire life to a large degree. It's extremely draining and does not allow you to focus on other parts of your day-to-day living; Instead, you're looking for "the next treatment of the week to try out on your scalp" hoping that you can finally get some relief.  

Thank you to those who read my post and looked at my photos attached.  I value any input user's here might provide to help me fight this terrible skin disease off.

1 like, 126 replies

126 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm reading a lot folks here are talking about LP (lichen planus), you say you were diagnosed with lichen planopilaris which is LPP.  They are different conditions.  I have LPP and any hair loss is permanent, which is very devastating.  Has anyone had any treatment that provide improvements for LPP? 

• Posted

Hi Sandy, I haven't had a chance to read other post as I haven't been on this site for a while and I don't know your knowledge of this autoimmune disease but one thing I would highly recommend is ridding your life of stress and taking a good probiotic with meals and eating a good greek yogert. Probiotics have really helped me with my LLP. Also I'd recommend talking to your Doctor about getting on a oral steroid temporarily for extreme cases or/and a local steroid like a foam or cream. The foam works really well for me and I've also been on a few different rounds of prednisone. However I haven't show symptoms for 18 months. I still take a probiotic and focus on a stress free life but no steroids in over almost 2 years.

• Posted

Thanks so much for the information.  I haven't taken any of the drugs because I'm afraid of taking anything that may affect my liver.  I did try the steroids injections and it seem to help a little.  I gave up on the clobetesol cream.  I will try the probiotics, but I don't eat dairy, so can't do the yogurt.

• Posted

Sandy, I was having problems with digesting lactose as well so I switched everything in my diet. The way Greek yogurt is processed it has almost no lactose in it and it feeds the probiotics bacteria to help it grow. Ever since I've made the switch my IBS has stopped and I had severe IBSD. The whole prosses takes time to work but I can promise things will get better.

My current regimen is one probiotic in the morning and one at evening. You have to work up to two a day. I did one a day for 2 a month then started the two a day. At first your gut will feel all kinds of weird but stick with it it will get better. I also take a flax seed tablet which helps the blood flow and repairing the gut just to name a few. Im also focused on a high protein diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables. A multivitamin help to supplement nutrients and isolate whey protein for protein definition. Isolate protein has the lactose removed from it. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks again.  I eliminated all diary because I read that it was bad for auto immune disease.  I don't have IBS or lactose intolerance; so I will give the yogurt a try.  I've read that whey protein can cause some problems so, I use plant based protein in my smoothies.  I also use flax seed in my smoothies as well.

• Posted

Np, just to be clear I never had a lactose intolerance until the development of this LP.

YES, whey protein does cause problems because the lactose is not refined out as it is in isolate whey protein and Greek yogurt. By cutting out dairy in your diet you are losing out on a lot of beneficial vitamins and bacteria your gut needs.

If I can ask you a question,

We're you on antibiotics in the past? Prior to being diagnosed.

• Posted

It's all so confusing.  I've read Dr. Wahl's book on auto immune disease, which says to cut out a lot of foods, but is high meat diet.  And then there's a Dr. Brooke Goldner, who talks about a plant based diet that cured her of her auto immune disease.  I don't know which way to go.  All I know that the bald patches are growing in numbers.

• Posted

I haven't been on any long term antibiotic treatment.  Very seldom for respiratory infections.

• Posted

The reason I ask is because even a short term of being on antibiotics will kill all the bacteria in your gut. Which leads to a over growth of bad bacteria and a whole lot of other health issues in general that the doctors won't tell you.

Ever since I have been focused on my gut health, taking probiotics, cutting down on sugar and processed foods the LP has not returned. LP being a autoimmune disease means your own immune system is in a state of disarray "fight or flight" reaction Something triggered this heightened state, stress, an over use of immune boosters like vitamin C, coconut oil or others. Even fillers in supplements can throw that switch that tells your immune system to start attacking. In short, need to find what triggered your immune system responses. I did a total cleanse, I stopped all supplements and food for a week then started to reintroduce things back one at a time, that's how I found out I had an intolerance for lactose. It was a long process but I've been symptom free for almost 2 years.

• Posted

that's what I assumed, that something triggered it.  I did start putting turmeric and coconut oil in my tea in the mornings.  I did that for about 4 months before I was diagnosed. But I stopped it and I'm still having the bald spots grow in number.  I too will do a cleanse and try to improve my diet.  I hope somehow soon I can figure it out, because I'll be bald pretty soon.  I have lost so much hair.

• Posted

Garbear, is the probiotic your taking OTC? What # of active cells is it? I have been taking 2x/day for a year and have not noticed any stomach reaction or OLP improvement but maybe it is keeping LP at bay? 

I also have also been eating a probio yogurt daily but it’s not a Greek yogurt . 

Stress free life? I’m trying!!!

Can you tell me how long you had LLP befor noticing an improvement?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Trudy, yes the probiotics that I'm taking is OTC and has a count in the 5 billion anything less and they're not as affective. Once your use to a lower count up it to a 5 or 10 billon count.

Once I started taking probiotics I noticed an improvement about a month or two later. I saw fewer and few breakout till one day...none. I still get a spot every now and again but nothing like I had. I also was on prednisone around the same time which I believe helped reset my immune system also. A good yogurt will help feed the probiotics also I'd suggest taking your probiotics with a meal. This will insure the max amount of probiotics live through the acidic environment of the stomach.

I eat the Greek yogurt because the lactose is processed out, the protein is higher and the live culture are more abundant. Hope this helps, take care.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Sandy, I hope things turn around for you. This immune disorder is stressful to say the least. If i where in your shoes id stay away from the turmeric and cocanut oil and any other immune boosters for awhile. Try talking to your doctor about immune surprising steroids. I do believe thay helped me reset my immune system. Best of luck to you.
    • Posted

Tumeric is wonderful for inflammation. So is low dose naltraxone up to 4.5 mg. Praying for change in hair, but definitely helped irritation. Use a tumeric that has black pepper so you absorb it. Doctor's Best brand is good - 2 tablets morning, 2 night.

• Posted

Thanks for the information.  I have a suspension that maybe the coconut oil and turmeric I started taking every morning may have caused the problem.  The LPP was diagnosed after I started using these two items.  Of course I can't be 100% sure, but that's the only thing that was new to my diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.