Recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Was on sulfasalazine twice a day. Dr called said labs were elevated so I stopped taking for 5 days .He called said it was back to normal. I resumed taking but am back to pain in all my joints. Will the pain go away after the meds build back up in my system or did I screw up?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was previously on leflunimide for 3 mths and felt well on it although leg cramps were a killer, but my levels were raised and was told to stop, I was then waiting to see reumatoid clinical as my skin was awful, still is, lesions and extreme itching making me claw at my skin and worsened the lesions. I was then told try sulfersalazine. I had refused to take any meds whatsoever until the skin situation had been diagnosed and eased because fed up with reactions to drugs. I feel like a Guinea pig. But 2 mths have passed and dermatologist guesses that the lesions on my arms is due to cervical spine compression

This past couple of weeks im in so much pain with stiffness fatigue and trembling that I thought I have no choice but to try sulfersalazine. Ive been on it 3 days and joints improved but fatigue and trembling the same

. I was in emergency hospital last weekend because thought I was having heart failure and breathing was poor but ecg was fine. Have not taken any meds until 3 days ago yet my white count is still raised and has been for 5mths.why havnt they checked to find out why instead of presuming it's medication when I've told them I've refused to take any. But ive given in and started sulfersalazine and very tempted to stop as the side effects already hit me upset tummy headaches and havnt a clue what to do until see clinic next week. But all I can say is that in 3 days my hands are much improved. Please let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Three days that's amazing! I was on 5 weeks and really started to feel good, like I might get my life back then stopped for 5 days. Back on but right Where I was pain wise. Just wonder if I'll ever feel good again. Haven't worked for a few yrs cause of pain. I fell in Feb.2014 an I SWEAR that is what set this all in motion. I dont even have the skin issue, that's why it took so long to get diagnosed .

• Posted

Hi I am not sure but I  think it takes a while for the sulfasalazine a while to get out of your system, but it may also take a while to build back up too, It can take 3 months to start working from when you first take it. 
  • Posted

m nolonger on sulphasalzine because the rash and itching was on steroids which helped but will be going on methatrate injections in a few weeks time hope

you get some medicine  that suits you soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.