Recently diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis at 22

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, In the last couple of weeks I have been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis after having pain in most of my joints for about six months. Although it isn't a diagnosis that is out of the blue due to a family history ofsimilar conditions I am still trying to get my head around being diagnosed at 22. I am still waiting on appointments to be started on a DMARD. I was wondering if there is anything that I could do to help myself out and keep the pain down for the time being or any suggestions of what to expect in the next couple of months.  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there 

You might like to look at your diet cut out sugar stay away from the nightshade family in salad and veg.

rob 

• Posted

Hello - welcome to the club:  Here's a list of the things I've found helpful:

Vitamin D spray - D-LUX (from chemists and supermarkets).  1 spray every morning, repeated if I feel tired at other times during the day.

GOPO roship capsules (BOOTS) start with 2 twice a day, reducing to 1 twice a day, then 1 - keeps inflammation down in the joints.  expensive - I usually buy them on a 3 for 2 offer.

Take an anti-inflammatory if you haven't been prescribed one - but make sure you check with the pharmacist about safety and dose - and take an anti-acid like omeprazole or ranitidine.

I find that some foods aggravate my symptoms.  try an elimination diet (go back to rice, chicken and green veg, then build foods back in.

I can't tolerate wheat, rye or barley (they are hidden in a lot of processed and ready made foods - even cornflakes...)

you can buy some codeine and paracetemol remedies over the counter, but speak to your GP about:

co-codamol, low dose amitryptiline (5 - 10 mg) at night - helps with pain at night, helps you sleep, stops pain waking you up, folic acid (you need that when you start methotrexate to prevent kidney damage)

exercise - non weight-bearing, like swimming, or even just walking across the shallow end of the pool up to shoulder deep; cycling is also good if you can sit upright (old-fashioned bicycle)

if your GP is happy to prescribe, now is a good time to buy an NHS pre-payment certificate - you will be having more than 2 prescriptions a month.

• Posted

Hey there detective! Welcome to the fun gang 😊 I have to say I haven't changed my diet at all (maybe I should!) what works for some doesn't for others. For me personally I have more ice packs in the freezer than food.... Slightly exaggerating there 😊 but ice for me really helps with the swelling and pain. You look at all the info you are given and try different things until you realise what works for you. Best of luck. Lisa ☀️
  • Posted

Hi, i haven't changed my diet as i'm a coeliac, so don't eat gluten, so i don't think it makes that much difference. i have a young ( 22) girlfriend who is in the same boat and it's been hell for her, but now it's all under control and she is getting on with life and gives me my get up and go when needed. She is worse, as is a Ankylosing Spondylitis sufferer, sooooooooo you are not alone, everybody on this site will help you. x
  • Posted

Hi. I've had psoriosis for over 30yrs and Psoriatic Arthritis for at least the last 15. I'm on various meds (methotrexate-humira-arcoxia).The only thing that seems to positivly help my PsA is rest and mild excerise. The medications help to a certain extent but nothing reduces the pain more than the exercise, just remember not to over do it as this has the reverse outcome. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.