Recently diagnosed with severe Hypothyroidism

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi folks,

I hope you can give me advice or any tips.

I started with joint pain in July last year and was referred to Rhuematologist and was told I had Palindromic Arthritis and was treated with steroid injections, anti inflammatory meds and pain killers.  I then started becoming very unwell with alot of symptoms, then finally last week could not take anymore with now added  constant nausea, exhaustion and confusion and memory loss.

Visited GP again and gave her a written list and told here no way is this arthritis, she looked at list and said " I will test your thyroid". I told her this had already been done in December and was told by hospital that my Pituitary gland was releasing to high and that someone should have been in touch with me and to speak to my GP next day, which I did and was told they would just test it again in 3 months (never happened).

Gp then looked at my results and looked shocked (as it was her that I spoke to re: Pituitary gland) then said to me "this is what is wrong with you, it is your thyroid, it is low,  I will take some bloods today as it will be worse now since December".  Gp telephoned me with results a couple of days later to be told I have severe hypothyroidism, I asked what that meant and was told it was practically undetectable, basically I had no thyorid left. I was advised to pick up prescription 100mg Levothyroxine at desk and start meds straight away and to go back in 4 weeks for another blood test.

I have tried looking at sites and thought the best place to come was to people that have it.

I am underweight so I do not need to lose weight which is slightly weird as from what I have read it says I should be overweight and once you get on meds then you should lose weight, which I cant afford to do.

I have not been given any information on this condition and would really appreciate any advice or tips you can give me.  Is there anything I should or should not do?  Is there foods I should eat or avoid? Excercise? Can I drink alcholol?

Thank you

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Cindy thanks for your reply. You are right, anxiety is so awful. I think because you are actually battling your own mind. The stuggle is with yourself. It makes me so fed up, but we have to keep going. Best of luck on your journey. cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.