Recently Diagnosed with SVT

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I had my first major SVT on Monday, upon arriving at hospital I was whisked straight through to resus as it turned out my heart rate was at 224. Previusly just thought I was having palpitations and docs said was probably related to the change (at 37!). 

All other episodes have been short lived and managed by sitting down and deep breathing, but this biggy could not be stopped. I googled for help and tried the 'strain', but after an hour and a half, thought I needed a bit of help. 

Thankfully, it stopped of it's own accord after about 30 mins in resus just as the doc was about flush out the cannula to give me some meds to stop it. 

My doc has sent a referral to a cardiolologist so I am waiting to see what they say. 

In the meantime, I feel horrendous! Can anyone confirm they feel the same after an attack? My left side hurts, I am soooooooooo tired, thirsty, can't seem to shift a rotten headache. Am I going doolally or is this all perfectly normal after an attack?

Thanks in advance of any kind words of reassurance! 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi I've had svt since I was 21 and after my attacks I felt a little tired but other wise completely normal having an svt attack is pretty scarey so you can tense your body up which can make it feel really sore after if your worried or don't feel right always get checked Hun it can hurt

• Posted

Thanks! There's so many sites with differing opinions. It makes sense to feel tired, someone said to me it's almost the equivalent of running a marathon....! And yes, certainly did tense up as was quite scared. Appreciate your comment and thank you for taking the time to respond, and so quickly ;-)

• Posted

I am the same as Crissy.  I feel drained the day after and have no energy.  I am also very anxious for days after worrying about it happening again.
    • Posted

Bit of a cycle, bless you. I too am worried about it kicking off again. I was at work which possibly made me even worse with it as there was nowhere to to go to try and calm myself down. 

It's good to know you guys are there and that we have this forum for a bit of support. Nice to not feel alone with it, although not nice to have. 

Thanks for the response, hugely appreciated :-)

• Posted

The worst part is svt causes anxiety i wish I had the courage to have the ablation..This is a great sight I've learned more about svt from this sight then any doctor if you have face book join a sight called me myself and anxiety it's great with great people it helps allot dam svt and anxiety so scarey

• Posted

Yes, I can understand you feeling that way regards the ablation. I was bad enough with the bloomin cannula in my arm!

You are all amazing and I do really appreciate the comments and the time you've all taken to reply.  

And thanks for the tip on the fb page. I will have a look for it and make sure I join. 

• Posted

I had all of your symptoms! And I had chest pain with my SVT. I just had an ablation 11 days ago and recoveries been a little bit rough as well. But everyone tells me after your heart heals up it gets better and there's a 90% cure rate so I'm still waiting for my payoff. But yes all your symptoms seem to be associated with what I was going through with SVT. I also had extreme fatigue when I would have an episode and it would take a full 24 hours before my body could feel like it was functioning correctly again.

• Posted

Fingers crossed that you see an improvment after you've fully recovered from the ablation. It is quite a mojor organ to have any kind of work on and it will take time to get over it. So make sure you take it slowly. 

Thanks for the reassurance that what I am feeling seems to be quite normal! Phew!! 

• Posted

I assure you what you're going through is not unique to you! Please keep being your own Advocate until you get to a good cardiologists who will acknowledge what you're going through and help you get to a place where you can get better as well. I'm definitely trying hard to take it easy and I know the recovery will come full circle at some point. Blessings!

• Posted

I pee a lot during an episode so dehydration is a real factor afterwards in how I might feel.    If I end up in hospital having Adenosine I usually ask them to run the bag through while I'm laying there resting after the conversion.  It definitely makes a difference to how I feel.

• Posted

I had the very same! Was so dehydrated during and after, must have peed about 6 times in the first hour.

I will remember the tip for future reference just in case I end up back in hospital. Thank you smile

• Posted

All normal your drained tired you will urinate frequently more the day before an episode I don't get that either

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.