Recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have only just been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I just wondered if there are any particular foods i should avoid or any that cause flare ups? My bowel is still rather inflamed and I am on steroids so still waiting for it to calm down.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,some people avoid dairy products whilst in a flare and gluten has a bad effect on some. I have IBS with my uc and find that onions,rich sauces,spices aggravate me, but everyone is different. Try keeping a food and symptom diary,it may help.
    • Posted

Thank you. I have discovered onions do not go well with me either! nor does greasey foods!
    • Posted

Onions and garlic are not recommended on the Low Fodmaps diet either. Google it. It might help you. I'm following it and am in remission. Cheers
    • Posted

Also google SCD yogurt, you can make your own lactose free yogurt filled with good bacteria. Or try VSL3 or another probiotic if you are unsure about dairy
  • Posted

10/05/2014 @ 23:15

Everyone is probably sick of me and my rhyme but this is what works for me. I take lepicol which has got the pre and probiotics to encourage good bacteria in bowel. Lepicol is psyllium husk base. I also take psyllium seed which is available from Just Ingredients online not expensive stuff postage is dearer I think. Psyllium seed the brown as there is also black one available but it is not for bowel health. Psyllium seed encourages processing of butyric acid which coloncytes ( bugs in bowel ) love and reduces the inflammation. I take teaspoon of each ( used to take it twice a day when I was on steroids and when improvement set in down to one teaspoon) in glass of water....let it sit for an hour and then take. I also include teaspoon of hemp seed but that's a personal choice. It took a few days to kick in. Someone else started the potion recently and they are noticing an improvement. I only discovered this potion of stuff from a forum in my last flare in Jan past and I wish I had discovered it years ago. I however to have to b careful diet wise. I think I hav certain sensitivity to gluten so I try and eat gluten free bread ....usually toast I do with 'genius' bread bought in tesco or asda. Sugary stuff I try to avoid to best of my ability and that includes fruit ,keep alcohol to minimum and small amounts of plain yogurt if I fancy any .....no fruit yogurts cos of sugars. Think that's bout it diet wise. I did immunosuppressants for six months ...colitis did settle but there are mega amount of side effects and long term stuff that I came off it . I take asacol tabs and occasionally the suppositories and I take cocodamol for pain relief. I also take imodium if I have to for diarrhoea but haven't had to do that in yunks. U can buy the cheaper version from tesco or asda if u need to. Think that's about my list of remedies. If u hav any other queries do message. But I do think the lepicol and seeds are best combo. I wish u best of luck. Mary Jo

• Posted

Hi Charlotte, i have had colitis since i was nine, has been quiet mild from what i have read about others however my diet changes most days as i will try anything but when i used to do what other people advised i genrally felt worse, mainly because i felt it was controlling me. i feel better eating what i want and ignoring diets that people say i should eat.
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte - I have had ulcerative coliis for about a year. What worked for me was the Low Fodmaps diet, a scientifically proven diet. It is quite broad and you won't feel deprived. Remember to record your responses to individual foods in a food diary. For example, I find red meat inflammatory but others may not. Also you may try some digestive enzymes. I buy from the gi prohealth site, it's called prozymes. Also bee propolis and psyllium seed powder along with vit d supplementation have helped. Remember also to get your b12 shots. Let me know how you go. Don't stess, take one step at a time. God bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.