recently diagnosed with VIT D Defiency at 6

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 52 year old and I have suffered with a lot of issues for 20+ years, having to leave my original job due to chronic tenosynivitis in my right hand, in total I have had 3 operations on this one being for carpal tunnel syndrome, I was then diagnosed with cervical and lunbar sponylosis in 1996 and sufferd with extreme pain in my neck, back and both arms and hands since then.  I was on the sick for 8 years before retunring to work in 2002,  I have lived with chronic pain for as long as i can remember, with cramps and pins and needles in my hands and fingers as well as being prone to trapped nerves in my neck which has resulted in deep physio on 3 occasions, in Feb 2016  I was diagnosed with stage 3 kidney disease and since this time my pain has become more severe, in my lower back, into my groin and down into my legs, causing my legs to fel like lead and a bone ache which has been effecting my mobility.  Just before the christmas I developed a chest infection, which I couldnt get rid of even after 4 lots of antibiotics and 2 lots of steroids, incidently I do have COPD as well.  I went to the GP approx a month ago and advised her that I have continued to feel exhausted and not able to motivate myself and felt that something was gping on with me and i could not identify what, another GP had asked in November, if I had ever been tested for MS as this has never been mentioned.  At this point she asked for a full blood, befgore the results I experience the loss of my legs and I was unable to walk, the tests have shown that I have a Vit D of 6 and I am now on 60,000mc medication per week, but still having these extreme bone like pains especialy in my legs.  Does anybody know how long it takes to get to this major Vit D defiency and do you think this may have been a problem for a number of years.  I am very fair skinned so I burn very easily in the sun, I also continue to work full time, despite feeling exhauseted and unable to motivate myself at times as well as forgetting stuff, I felt that I was becoming a hypacondriac and imagining this 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It may take a couple of months to feel much difference if it is really all due to the low vit D level. My husband's was 7 last December - he felt fine!

If it is that low it has probably been low for some time but the other things you describe are also typical of an autoimmune disorder and vit D levels are often low in them - I assume you have been under a rheumatologist at some time to have the diagnosis of spondylosis. If not, perhaps you ask to be referred to one for an opinion. 

• Posted

In amongst the blood tests were your folate and vitamin B12 levels checked as these are not always included in and FBC?  

Some of the symptoms of a defiency in one or other of these are similar to those you are suffering from low Vitamin D and folate and B12 work together with iron to make red blood cells.

As Eileen says it may take months for your low vitamin D symptoms to improve but I hope you get to feel better soon and wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.