Recently given Alendronic Acid, suffering heartburn anyway...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

​I recently got diagonised with osteoporosis and was given theiCal-D3 which i have been taking for a while.  I was given the Alendronic Acid, spoke to the NOS and the hospital and was given the impression that side effects are scarce and it was better to take than not take.  I suffered a nasty dose of very bad heartburn a few weeks ago - not taken the alendronic acid yet as I was waiting till I had recovered, thought I had so was going to start the tablets tomorrow, but the heartburn returned with a vengeance yesterday so was uncertain whether I should start the Alendronic Acid as heartburn was a side effect.  Having read all the horrendous side effects that people are suffering I must admit I am scared about starting the tablet; I have M.E./Firomyalgia, Osteo-Arthritis as well as asthma and now the osteoporosis and am still trying to recover from breaking both my wrists last year as I had to have an operation on the left wrist with pins put in, and the soft tissue is still not completely yet recovered so i am still seeing the physio.  I am now really scared and not sure whether i should even start the alendronic acid tablets especially if joint pain seems to be so severe and i suffer with that anyway sad  I was going to speak to the Dr tomorrow re starting them with heartburn or wait, but now i am wondering if should go back and see him and see about trying another drug that does not have so many side effects.  Though as we all know, everything seems to have side effects.  I am now stuck between a rock and a hard place not knowing what to do! 

2 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I should also point out mums GP would not even send her for a dexa scan so not only did we not know mums score, we also would not know if the AA would improve it as we did not have a base line to work with. Doctors are so keen to dish out AA like sweets. Please goodle strontium renalate as there was a Daily Mail article on how amazing this drug is and how it has been changing people's life. x

• Posted

I have made a note and will defintely google it, thank you for your advice.  smile  I am sorry your Mum has been suffering so much, it really is a minefield all of this sad  I only had a dexa scan as when i had to see the orthopaedics it was recommended as i had broken both my wrists sad  That is a prime indicator apparently along with hip or back broken bones.  I will check out the Daily Mail article....was it a recent article?  Thank you and I do hope your Mum improves.  kind regards Carrie xx
    • Posted

Hi Kezzabird

​I have been looking into strontium far more, and have had information on the natural form from Jean.  I now have an appointment to see my Rheumatologist in July - first they could offer - and strontium in some form seems to be possibly the way forward for me if I have to take something other than trying to improve my diet and exercise which I am also working on.  I am in the danger-zone as far as the dexa scan goes, so although I am on HRT which I am told will help, I obviously cannot stay on it indefinately.  Be itneresting to see what he/she says smile

​The article you mentioned was very interesting smile

​kind regards Carrie

• Posted

bio-identical HRT is supposed to be safe, it's the HRT derived from horses which leads to health problems in humans.
    • Posted

How shocking to prescribe something without a basis for prescribing it. It also shows no investigation was done to diagnose your mother's condition. To surmise a cause with no tests is unheard of surely!

The doctor has assumed that your mother has osteoporosis because of the breaks. You can pay for a density scan and in Australia they are only $60 when not free.

I would be getting it done for my own peace of mind.

• Posted

Strontium ranelate may be no more effective than strontium citrate, which is a natural supplement, not a patented medication.  Research both, but preferably pay no heed to the website for the manufacturer of ranelate.

• Posted

Strontium replaces calcium, and being denser it makes the bones appear more dense.  Whether it makes the bones stronger or not I don't know, but it might make doctors happy.  I'd never dish out money for ranelate if I could get citrate, if I felt compelled to try it.  I believe strontium is only one of many micronutrients needed for good bone health, and possibly a supplement or medication that results in it replacing calcium in the bones should be looked at with a great deal of caution.
    • Posted

Hi Jean,

Sooooo, can one take calcium and strontium?

​Such a minefield, as one cannot take what the Dr says as 'the right thing' anymore as it is such a conveyor belt with their time limits, they do not have the ability to look at the body as a whole and decide what is right for US.  And of course the drug companies stick their oars in too sad

​I was looking at ordering some strontium citrate to try but need to ensure whether I take it at a separate time as my calcium/vitamin D or whether it woudl compliment.  I certainly don't want it replacing the valuable calcium........a lot to consider.

​kind regards Carrie 

• Posted

It's like taking iron and calcium.  Yes, you can take them both, but several hours apart.  If you take calcium and strontium at the same time, the body prefers calcium and will not absorb strontium, so you'd be throwing away your money (If you take iron and calcium together, the iron trumps the calcium!)
  • Posted

I did the same thing. I even purchased the tablets but threw them out after about six months of deliberations.

I think it has to be a personal decision. I was worried about swallowing the tablet for a start. If that had not caused me to pause then I may have started taking them.

I am going to try to improve my tscores over a year but will be forced to reconsider if they deteriorate further.

My GP said that if my X-ray had shown the bones as fragile I would have needed to reconsider as well. Thankfully, there was no concern shown in the report. So, maybe have an X-ray to see what that shows. It does not show density but it does tell another story.

All the best, and the decision is yours to make.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,

​That is why I stopped the AA and have been researching so many other options, like strontium ....or sticking with my HRT and wait a few years.  Only trouble is my Dexa score showed -4 and I am seeing a Rheumatologist in July so don't want to be bullied into taking something I don't want to take but don't want any more broken bones!! 

​Have been going the natural way; taking K2, Zinc, was already taking magnesium and Vit C, still taking the iCalD, and looking into other nutrients.  Improving my diet and exercise too.  All a very difficult balancing act!!

​You are right it is a personal decision; good luck with your scores and I am very glad your bones are not fragile.

​kind regards Carrie 

• Posted

Strontium ranelate has warnings and is not prescribed in Australia to my knowledge. 

I am allergic to crab etc so that is out.

I am waiting for a magical cure lol!

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,

​Thanks for that.  Does seem depending upon country doesn't it.  I know NZ doesn't prescribe codeine like this country does so......swings and roundabouts.

Oh dear re the crab sad  I too wish for a magic cure sad  I am not a great fish eater so trying to look for nutrients other ways to supplement my body, have managed to tolerate pilchards which are of the sardine family smile

​Take care and good luck.  kind regards Carrie

• Posted

I can eat fish but that is about all from the sea.

You do what you can for sure.

Best wishes, Kathleen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.