Recently had rezum procedure

Posted , 18 users are following.

I am a 55 year old. I had severe urinary retention. I recieved the rezum procedure 2 week ago. The foley was pulled after one week and I was unable urinate at all. Very painfull burning and bladder spasm. Yesterday I was filled with 180ml and voided 104 ml. The foley was left out and I was given a follow up  for today. I went home yesterday and everytime I tried to void the burning and the spasms brought me to my knees. I was only able to pulse short steams of urine. That night I was up every hour with the burning sensation to go, but I could only get short streams. I have another follow up in 10 days. My question anybody that had this procedure is how optimstic should I be to void normally or at least nough to have the foley permently. I should also add that I am taking flomax for the last week. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My cath was pulled today. Iwas filled with about 240 ml. I Voided all of it. Drank 2 bottles of water. Seems like I have to go every 20 minutes or so. slight burning at the end, so it's hard to tell if I really have to go. I have been relieving about 100 ml at a time, but atleast I am going. The good thing is there is no bladder spasms.? So, so far so good.

• Posted

Good to hear.  Not everyone responds perfectly to any of the procedures out there now.  Always some chance of complications.

Rezum is my #1 choice right now.  Will be talking to my Doc about it.

• Posted

How are things going for you now? I understand that it takes six full weeks to see improvements.
  • Posted

Hi, Howard.  How is the Rezum coming along?  I am one month out and have had a much different outcome then you did.  What was the size of your prostate and how many injections did you get?

Please take a look at my details in this following discussion where I detailed the progress over this last month.  Currently, I'm at the point where I don't think much of my urological condition and hopefully it stays that way.  I've read from others who seem to have a setback in month 2 - but I'll keep updating there.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/rezum-treatment-details-553352

• Edited

I had Rezum about 8 months ago. I am 63. I had a TURP done 10 years ago that was very successful with no retrograde which was very important to me. The prostate grew back and I didn't want to take a chance with the TURP again as I figure I lucked out the first time. Had the resume done and paid CDN$5500 as this procedure was not covered by medicare. Doctor ensured me that there would be no ejaculatory issues. Guess what. 8 months later and I still have full retrograde. Not Happy. Might not be importatnt to some but it is to me. To all those individuals out there...beware..you have been forewarned. I should have just gone with the TURP again and saved myself a sh*tload of $$$$

Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to the swearing. These are open forums so as per the T&Cs please do not use offensive language in posts otherwise they may be deleted.

• Posted

RE is 5-10% with Rezum, not 0. Its lower than all other procedures except Urolift.

• Posted

hmm...I think that's true for Urologist's products; however, I didn't think RE was an issue for IR products PAE and FLA.

• Posted

Here is my story. 11 years ago at age 64 I had a PSA test done and it came back being 25! Previously my PSA tests were less below 3. I went to a urologist and he did a biopsy where he took 32 samples. 1 came back + for cancer. I then starting studying treatments. I went to a different urologist who had a good reputation. I did another PSA test which came back at 5. He said I have BPH. A few months later my PSA was down to 3. He said I prolly had a UTI. We decided on watch and wait. I go to him annually as I have for the last 11 years. About 5 years ago I started to have a reduced urine flow so he put me on tamsulosin 1 pill per day.My prostrate was still growing so he put me on Finasteride too. After a year we increased the tamsulosin to 2 pills daily. Three ago he did a second biopsy. No cancer. I had been having a problem with urine leakage and a very weak flow. Two minutes after I peed I had to go again. During my annual exam one month ago I told him the medications weren't working and we discussed the Urolift & Rezum. I had Rezum done 4 days ago. The day of the procedure when I got home after a few hours I started having urinary spasms every 15 minutes. The pain was unbearable. After 6 hours i called my urologist. He told me to go to the ER to have the Foley flushed. which I did. That helped a lot. Today 4 days after the procedure I self removed the Foley. It was very easy. Since I have peed about 3 times since I woke up 6 hours ago. Yes it is a bit painful and I passed some blood. I read that is normal. I am looking forward to having an improved urine flow at some point in the future when my body heals and the inflammation subsides. I think I made the right decision. Stay tuned.

• Posted

Howard if it's any help I had my Rezum about 3 weeks ago, then 10 horrible days with a catheter in. Now still suffering similar symptoms to before, and from what I'm told by the docs I think that's normal for many weeks, even months. It takes a while for the vaporized inner prostate cells to flush out and the body to adjust. I don't know about Flomax, sounds like it's not helping, I'm on Tamsulosin which basically relaxes the bladder, so the stream is slightly better and the pain is less. Still need to go way too often, feel like bursting all the time, and supersensitive at all critical points, ie penis, bladder and anus. I was put under a general anaesthetic for the op and I don't think they were particularly gentle. I hope your symptoms start to settle down pretty soon.

• Posted

I had the Rezum procedure about 2 1/2 months ago and I'm having serious problems holding my bladder. I have strong urges to urinate and have trouble holding it and when I do go its not like I'm emptying a full bladder. Also this procedure has not helped me as i still go 3 times a night. my stream isn't that great either so i honestly wish i never had this procedure performed. i probably should of have stuck with TURP. They did prescribe Ditropan but it hasn't helped with my urination problems.

• Posted

I'm about 6 weeks out from my ReZum procedure and here are some points that you may be helpful:

I was told to leave Foley catheter in for only 2 days, which seems less than with others

In my third week I suffered the most with painful, difficult and meager volume of urinating .

A follow up call said that it was normal and will abate. On day 21, if suddenly got better

Hematuria (blood in urine) and passing clots has persisted, but slowly decreasing with time

Drink plenty of fluids!

• Posted

What was your prostate size before the Rezum?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.