Recently lost my Grandfather

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there!

So as you can tell from the title, my grandfather passed away 2 months ago. I was very close to him, and I have been since I was born, and so it is no surprise that this has hit me hard. At first i struggled to believe that this had actually happened and even at the funeral I didn't fully grasp the idea that I would never see him again. This is something that has only just recently hit me. I've not been functioning well and I've developed some kind of anxiety every time I enter my grandparents house. The rest of the family are taking comfort in small things and it seems to be helping them. Is it strange that I cannot find any comfort in anything? I'm just not sure what to do and I have exams coming up next week which is leaving me stressed out and I guess it's all becoming too much. Is there anything I can do to make this a little bit easier on myself? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hannah 

.You are grieving about the loss of your grandfather who you were very close to.

Bereavement affects people in lots of different ways. I would suggest visiting your gp, explain how you're feeling and that you're worried it may affect your exams.

If you feel unable to speak to your gp, try writing down how you're feeling, just like you've done here. Take that with you when you visit your gp. The dr may suggest a course of anti depressants, or some sort of counselling. I found bereavement counselling very helpful after my mum died.

What you are feeling is very normal following the loss of someone close. Please don't think you're alone with these feelings. You definitely are not.

There is no right or wrong way to grieve for someone. For example, some people find talking about the person and being close to anything connected with they very comforting. On  the other hand, some people are the complete opposite and don't like to think of the person.

we are all different 

• Posted

Thank you!

I'm planning on visiting my gp maybe in a few weeks. I did my first exam today so I just hope I manage it all as best as I can. But I really appreciate the reply smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.